Scheduled Backup fails, no error

Bart430Bart430 Posts: 13
edited August 17, 2006 12:10PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
My backup ups have been failing, or not finishing. There is no log for the failed days. I tried to schedule a backup and it goes through half of the databases 12 out of 24 and then just stops. I tried creating a new job and it didnt finish. I tried creating a new job to back up the missing DBs, and it never started. I can click on the back up button and startbackup and it finished. I am not a SQL guru, but prior to this all my backups have been going fine. Any advice? :?:

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    By default, the log files are generated in

<system drive>\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name>

If the backup failed midway, you should see some files without a GUID value in its name (restores do not have a GUID value either).

If you cannot find the relevant log files, I would suggest testing the backup command manually. I assume you are using the BACKUP DATABASES syntax? Copy the T-SQL script from your job step, and run it in Query Analyzer/SSMS, and see what errors turn up.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Pete,
    There are no logs, its seems that backup is not finishing, it just seems to stop after backing up model DB. I can do a manual backup of the DB's that are not getting backed up through the schedule. I will run the script through the Query Analyzer and see what happens. I am also going to delete all my scheduled backup jobs and recreate them.
  • I figured out the problem, SQL Backup is hanging when trying to backup the msdb. A few strange things are that I never recieved an error message and no backup log was created by SQL Backup.
    Thanks,
    Bart
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    What happens when you backup msdb directly e.g.

master..sqlbackup '-sql "BACKUP DATABASE msdb TO DISK = [e:\temp\msdb.sqb] WITH INIT"'

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • When I tried and do a manual backup, the program hangs at around 37%. The file is only about 32 mb and usually takes on a few seconds to backup. It does not give a error message or make an entry in the SQL backup log.

I rebooted the server and can do a manaul backup now without the program hanging. I will run a normal scheduled backup tonight. I am running full backups by the way with lowest compression.