Options

'Invalid Connection' error when connecting to SQLServer2005

Eihtball99Eihtball99 Posts: 3
edited July 24, 2006 5:22AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hello,

I just downloaded and registered SQL Compare 5.2, today, as I need to be able to work with SQL Server 2005 databases. (I've used previous versions of SQL Compare for about a year and a half)

When loading SQL Compare, my local instance of my SQL 2000 database as well as my local instance of my SQL 2005 database are found in the 'Server:' dropdown list. All looks good, so far.

However, when I select my SQL 2005 instance (ipc-02\SQLEXPRESS) and try to choose a database, using Windows Auth, I get an error message stating, "The list of databases for the specified SQL Server could not be retrieved: Invalid connection."

I know I'm able to log in to this local instance, with Windows Auth, as I'm able to get right in using the SQL Server Management Studio tool.

Has anybody run into this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Jason Marsell
Senior Software Engineer
IP Commerce

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Jason,

Can you please try the following?

1. Use TCP: in front of the server name like TCP:Server

2. Try going into the computer's computer management console and change the client connection utility so that the TCP/IP protocol is as close to the top of the list as you can get (I think shared memory doesn't budge from the top spot).
  • Options
    Hi Brian,

So, you were close. The issue was definitely TCP/IP related, however it wasn't fixable from the Client Connection Utility.

What I did, to fix it, was use the new "SQL Server Surface Area Configuration" tool, which is bundled with SQL2005.

From here, for my SQLEXPRESS db instance, I selected "Remote Connections", and enabled "Local and Remote Connections", using TCP/IP and named pipes.

Thank you for putting me on the right trail. I hope this helps others who run into the same issue.

Cheers!

Jason Marsell
    Senior Software Engineer
    IP Commerce
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Jason,

Thanks. I assume that SQLEXPRESS installations don't allow reomte connections by default!
This discussion has been closed.