Options

SQL Prompt 4 - *STILL* doesn't "get it" when it comes to XML

mscheunermscheuner Posts: 57
edited September 2, 2009 8:25AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I'm a bit annoyed - SQL Prompt 4 STILL doesn't "get it" when it comes to SQL XML DML support......

Imagine a table something like this:
CREATE TABLE MyDemoTable
	(ID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY,
	 Title VARCHAR(50),
	 Payload XML)

If I want to change some content in the "Payload" XML column, I can do this with an UPDATE statement:
UPDATE MyDemoTable
SET Payload.modify('replace value of ..... with "...." ')

The problem is: those keywords ".value", ".modify" that I type AFTER the XML column name (Payload) ARE CASE SENSITIVE - but SQL Prompt insists on UPPERCASING those.

Yes, I know, I can turn off uppercasing all together - but that's at best a hackish workaround......

Is it really not possible for SQL Prompt to detect, that when I type:
UPDATE MyDemoTable
SET Payload.

that "Payload" is an XML column, and therefore, if I now proceed to type "modify" and a space or opening parenthesis, that it should never force this "modify" to UPPERCASE ?

What happens now is:
UPDATE MyDemoTable
SET Payload.modify

and as soon as I type "(" now, I get:
UPDATE MyDemoTable
SET Payload.MODIFY(

and that's just not valid SQL XML DML syntax anymore.

See this link here for the SQL XML DML keywords:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190798.aspx

All five of those (.query(), .nodes(), .value(), .modify(), .exist() ) are case-sensitive and should definitely be left alone when used on a XML column!

Marc

Comments

• Options
    Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Apologies for the delay in replying your post and thank you for your request.

We have logged this in our enhancement request database as SP-2794.
    If we get sufficient interest in this feature we’ll considering putting it in a future release.

Kindly let us know if you have any other issues/questions regarding SQL prompt, I'll like to help.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com