SQL Prompt doesn't work when running SSMS as different user

ed_waystared_waystar Posts: 1 New member
This used to work for years, but now when swapping to another SSMS instance with another user SQL Prompt ceases to work and tells me I have an unlicensed trial on the second instance.

When I click "Manage License" and then "Log In" it tells me to use my browser, and nothing happens.

version 10.14.21.9884
SSMS v18.12.1
Tagged:

Answers

• Kurt_MKurt_M Posts: 192 Silver 1
    Hi @ed_waystar,

I don't see a reason it should have stopped working. My assumption here is that the license has failed to apply when opening SSMS as that other user.

Can you try checking the following localhost link to see what license is being applied? You might be able to manually activate it within this link against the user you're trying to use.

http://localhost:22221/redgate/status.html

Kind regards,

Kurt McCormick
    Product Support Engineer, Redgate

Need help? Take a look at our Help Center

• bryan_1bryan_1 Posts: 1 New member
    I'm experiencing the same issue.  Due to security, to access SSMS properly, I have to shift-right click SSMS and "Run as a different user."  When I do so, the SQL Prompt menu is bare - same as reported by ed_waystar above.  If I log in with my normal user, I get all the SQL Prompt menu choices.  Any idea how to resolve this?
  • I have a colleague who came to me asking for help with the same problem. He is signing into SSMS with his SA account and when he gets to the "Please log in to continue" prompt and clicks the "Log in" button, nothing happens.

I tried to recreate the problem on my computer but was unsuccessful. I logged into SSMS with my SA account, got to the SQL Prompt "Log in" button to manage my account, and when I clicked the button a Windows prompt opened asking if I wanted to open in Edge or another program. I clicked Edge, logged in and SQL Prompt worked fine.

I worked with my colleague for over a half hour trying all sorts of things but everything we tried, when he clicked on the "Log in" button nothing happened.

We tried:
    Changing his default browser to edge
    creating an Edge browser profile with his SA account
    closing and reopening SSMS

Any suggestions on what else to try?
  • gadmggadmg Posts: 1 New member
    I don't know if my scenario is the same as your scenarios are. My Prompt license is bound to my work's windows account, but I have to connect with SSMS to SQL servers of different customers using an account in their domain. My solution is to start SSMS with runas and the /netonly parameter, i.e. I create a batch file with the following content:
    @runas /netonly /user:REMOTEDOMAIN\remoteuser "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 20\Common7\IDE\Ssms.exe"
    This way I can connect to my customer's SQL servers using windows authentication and having a working SQL Prompt installation.