Options

Has Multi Script been broken?

The latest update makes it impossible to save the results. All I get  is a spinning wheel stating "Saving All Results". After 15 minutes, I had to stop it and move on. The results are being saved to a local folder, so it is not network issue. 
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    KollKoll Posts: 7 Bronze 2
    From my point of view, the newer versions are very slow at exporting in general. I had a large number of scripts (77) that I ran and exporting output in 1.5.7 works fine, I end up with a 123 MB file with 154 sheets (message and results per script). The results can be anything from a single column of nvarchar(256) to integers and dates. It can also be database nvarchar(max) columns, where data though aren't much, just bad database design, but still strings or sentences :-)

With the newest version I also tried narrowing it down, like only running 5 or 10 scripts at a time, knowing I'd have a hassle with combining the Excel file. But this still crashed or too very long.

Answers

• Options
    RonPRonP Posts: 5 New member
    I found that I can select the results and copy them into a text file, but the save all results just spins around and never gets to the end. The cancel button work great.
  • Options
    RonPRonP Posts: 5 New member
    I removed the new version and replaced it with 1.5.7.1474. I am now able to save my results again. 
  • Options
    Hi @RonP

Thank you for reaching out on the Redgate forums, and sorry to hear about this issue.

I believe I've replicated the same hang behaviour when using "Save All" on versions v1.5.20 & v1.5.21.
    I'm going to roll back a few versions to try and ascertain exactly when this functionality broke and escalate this to our developers as a bug.

Glad you are able to get back up and running by reverting to v1.5.7
    I shall update this forum post again with a new version to test for a fix.
    Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    I've replicated this concern with versions v1.5.19-v1.5.21
    In testing, I found that the process did complete after a long delay (15–20 minutes) which is a large variation to the 10–15 seconds to generate for the same output in v1.5.18.

This is now escalated with our devs as a bug. Bug ref # is 338 and any fixes will be included in a future release of SQL Multi-Script.

I would suggest staying on a version below v1.5.18 for the interim, and I will update the forum post again with any updates & fixes.
  • Options
    SeanGoughSeanGough Posts: 6 New member
    Where can we download older versions? I tried the link via my products, but it only offers the latest version or the SQL DBA Bundle.
  • Options
    Hi all, 

Our development team have identified a concern with the export to Excel functionality on records with long-string values. The process will run and complete, but is much longer than expected.

This is active with the development team to implement and fix and I will update this forum post with any further information
  • Options
    Hi all, a fix for this has been included in the latest release of SQL Multi-Script

Can you please patch into V1.5.23 at your earliest convenience and confirm this has been resolved for you.
    Download link here:
    https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLMultiScript/SQLMultiScript_1.5.23.2709.exe
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2024 9:22AM
    Removed.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2024 9:22AM
    Removed.
  • Options
    It's still not working as it did in v1.5.7.
    I tried v1.5.23 and can also crash with larger result sets where they work in v1.5.7.

Application: SQLMultiScript.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.Exception
       at SQLMultiScript.ResultsPanel.ExportAllData(System.String, SQLMultiScript.ScriptFetchState[], RedGate.SQLMultiScript.Engine.IJobEventArgs[], System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2<Int32,JobInfo>, System.Action, SaveAllCancellable, System.Threading.ManualResetEvent)
       at SQLMultiScript.ResultsPanel+<>c__DisplayClass102_4.<SaveAllTask>b__10(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

• Options
    Sorry to hear you are still having concerns with this, 

we're trying to replicate and wonder if there are some specifics about your fields being exported that we're not covering.

Are you able to confirm the data type of the fields you are exporting & the average number of records you are trying to export?

If you export a smaller sub-set of your larger results does that export as expected? and does it start to fail only after you have more records being exported.

In my testing I was working with up to 5000 records, would be interested to see how much this differs from your use case.