SQL Server Backup problems

Hello Redgate community,

I'm hoping someone can assist me because I'm having some problems with my SQL Server backups. My SQL Server databases are being backed up with Redgate SQL Backup Pro, but there are some issues that keep cropping up.

I'm getting messages like "Backup failed for Server X, Database Y" and "Backup failed: Error 3041," specifically. I've tried a number of debugging techniques, including making sure the databases have enough space on the disc and running consistency checks, but the problem still exists.

Has anybody else have such problems with SQL Backup Pro? If so, how did you fix them? We would be grateful for any advice or recommendations.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,
[Vivek Garg]
I am a developer and writer, having more than 5 years of experience. I help people solve their queries related to the programming languages and technologies.
Tagged:

Answers

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Vivek,
    Thank you for your forum post.

I am correct in believing that "Backup failed: Error 3041," is actually a SQL Server error and not a SQL Backup exit code (as exit code 3401 does not exist within SQL Backup to my knowledge)?

SQL Server error code 3401 is generic error that SQL Server generates when a backup fails.  Are there any additional error codes returned?

Can you locate the SQL Backup log file for the failed backup - In the SQL Backup GUI ->Activity History ->Right click the entry for the failed backup job ->Select Show Log.

The log file will contain information on all the exit codes generated from both SQL Server and SQL Backup, please reply with the codes generated.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com