Options

SQL History Results Not sorted by Date

OneJuan1OneJuan1 Posts: 1 New member
edited March 6, 2023 6:13PM in SQL Prompt
Why are the SQL History search results no longer sorted by date?

It renders the SQL History functionality almost entirely useless if the results aren't sorted by date when there are several hundred queries returned by a search.

SQL History has been one of the most useful tools for me over the past few years and I see a few nice features added over the recent updates to the SQL History functionality but if I could just get my query search results to show up sorted by date then all would be good.

Am I using the tool wrong or is there a setting I need to change?

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Hello, 

Thank you for your inquiry into SQL Prompt, we are sorry to hear it is giving you trouble.

Regarding the sorting of the search function in SQL History, this is a known issue that the dev team has on the board to address in a future release in SQL Prompt. Unfortunately, there is currently no ETA for when this will make an appearance on SQL Prompt.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Best, 

Dustin 

• Options
    KeithCOKeithCO Posts: 1 New member
    I would like to add on to this.  The SQL history is what sold us on SQL prompt many years ago.  It has saved me so many times.  Unfortunately, the current version is less then useful.  The date order issue makes no sense. And you have to click on each item to actually see the content of the query. Previously you could just mouse over each item and it would preview/show the query.  What version would I need to roll back to to get the old functionality back?
  • Options
    kalokalo Posts: 86 Bronze 5
    edited March 15, 2023 10:37PM
    So can't find the most recent time you executed a proc to rescue a proc that someone else overwrote without trawling and collating the order ourselves.

as Keith asks - what version do we need to rollback to to get less 'advanced' search for the moment please?
  • Options
    ifortunaifortuna Posts: 1 New member
    Version history is great, but we've lost many of the features that made this product useful. I do not understand the thought process behind not including sort. This makes SQL History unusable most of the time.
  • Options
    Hello,

Regarding the version, prior to the newest SQL History, it would be 10.12.4. Any history that was created using the newer version of SQL History will not appear in the earlier version, however. 

I hope this information helps.

Best, 

Dustin 
  • Options
    Rob_IQRob_IQ Posts: 17 Bronze 5
    edited March 17, 2023 3:33PM
    I am still on 10.12.4 as well due to the issues that remain with SQL History.
    Maybe the it would be easier for the dev team to add back Tab History along side the new SQL History while its being developed?
    I am sure many of us would love to be able to see and test new features as they are refined but not at the expense of work we need to get done.
    Removing an established and useful feature and replacing it with a different feature still in alpha is a good way to lose customer loyalty and eventually customers :angry:

• Options
    EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 137 Silver 2
    DustinM said:
    Hello,

Regarding the version, prior to the newest SQL History, it would be 10.12.4. Any history that was created using the newer version of SQL History will not appear in the earlier version, however. 

Best, 

Dustin 
    Dustin - Based on teh feedback I'm seeing in teh forums I don't think many are goin to remain on eth SQL Prompt Version that include SQL History long enough to worry about loosing anything when they down grade to a prior version to get Tab History back. Someone majorly dropped the ball on this. This always should have been a new feature that did not replace the existing one. 
  • Options
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one more than just concerned about how SQL History was implemented, as a replacement to an existing feature instead of an alternate one so teh user could choose between the 2.  I know RG has some smart and talented people who care so I believe we will see not only an apology for this travesty but them going above and beyond to fix this and regain customer loyalty. 
  • Options
    Hi Everyone, 

Thank you for all of your feedback, Our dev teams are aware of the current version of SQL History being a pain point and are continuing to improve it with each release. 

I also wanted to leave a hopefully helpful comment here for those using the current version of SQL Prompt and SQL History. 

If you add a wildcard to the end of the search it should order by date where as it is currently set up to look for the closes match. This will not work with punctuation, however.

Best, 

Dustin 

• Options
    DustinM said:
    Hi Everyone, 

Thank you for all of your feedback, Our dev teams are aware of the current version of SQL History being a pain point and are continuing to improve it with each release. 

I also wanted to leave a hopefully helpful comment here for those using the current version of SQL Prompt and SQL History. 

If you add a wildcard to the end of the search it should order by date where as it is currently set up to look for the closes match. This will not work with punctuation, however.

Best, 

Dustin 

Dustin - any tips are always a help but in this case I believe most are going to do like me and just downgrade, roll back to the last build that is pre-SQL History. There's just not enough in the latest update (at least for me) to justify tolerating SQL HISTORY over TAB HOSTORY. Additionally nothing you do while SQL HISTORY is installed will be in TAB HISTORY so it's best to roll back to a prior version as quickly as possible.