Is Tab History still working for everyone

kalokalo Posts: 82 Bronze 5
edited October 13, 2022 12:59PM in SQL Prompt
Just not searching at all now after seeming to take an age to show stuff recently. Is this because the source is now too big. Anyone got any advice how to resolve please?
Tagged:

Answers

• Hi @kalo

This is a known bug which we're working on but we have a workaround while we're waiting for the new release. 

Please can you close down SSMS, navigate to %localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 10\ and delete the file "SqlHistory.db", before then relaunching SSMS (you won't lose your tab history in doing this), you should see this functionality restored.

I'll let you know when the new version is available.
    Kind regards

Victoria Wiseman | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • kalokalo Posts: 82 Bronze 5
    edited October 13, 2022 1:07PM
    Hi Victoria W said:
    Hi @kalo

This is a known bug which we're working on but we have a workaround while we're waiting for the new release. 

Please can you close down SSMS, navigate to %localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 10\ and delete the file "SqlHistory.db", before then relaunching SSMS (you won't lose your tab history in doing this), you should see this functionality restored.

I'll let you know when the new version is available.
    Hi - thanks for suggestion. However, I have followed these steps and Tab History is still not showing anything. I can see in the folder that a new SqlHistory.db file has appeared slightly smaller than before.
    Of course for a long time it's not been clear if the search in tab-history has actually fired - so i'm a bit blind to whether it is searching and taking a long time or not searching at all. I presume it's the latter because i'm giving it plenty of time before i give up. (Also once the tab-history is up you have to wait as it will close if you happen to click outside of it.)

For the time being, i've cut my SavedTabs and SqlHistory to a folder on my machine elsewhere and then opened Tab History again. This works although i obvs haven't got immediate access to my history. So i can at least see what i ran from earlier today onwards. Once fix is released -hopefully i can revert to my bigger history
  • Hi @kalo

Thank you for your patience while we worked on this issue.

The development team has now released a fix which you can download here: https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_10.13.0.31319.exe

Kind regards

• kalokalo Posts: 82 Bronze 5
    Hi @kalo

Thank you for your patience while we worked on this issue.

The development team has now released a fix which you can download here: https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_10.13.0.31319.exe

thanks - noticed this but not had chance to update just yet - is there away of combining my old savedtabs.db prior to error to the new one i've had to maintain since?
  • Hi @kalo

Is there anything you need in that tab history from the past month or so? If so you'll need to copy it somewhere else.

If you then put your old tab history file in there it should convert to the new version and then work again when you relaunch SSMS. 
    Kind regards