SQL Source control can't access this database

Make sure the database is online, you have permission to access it and you are using a supported authentication type.

Can I get a bit more insight on this error message?

Tagged:

Answers

• Kurt_MKurt_M Posts: 125 Silver 1
    Hi @Saloni

What authentication method are you using to connect to the server? Are you potentially trying to connect to an Azure instance with Azure Active Directory Interactive Authentication (MFA)? 

Has this worked previously and since stopped working, or a new setup?

Kind regards,

Kurt McCormick
    Product Support Engineer, Redgate

Need help? Take a look at our Help Center

• SaloniSaloni Posts: 3 New member
    Yes, I am using Azure Active Directory Interactive Authentication (MFA)
    This is a new setup that I am trying to connect to.
  • jjnemmersjjnemmers Posts: 1 New member
    I am having the same issue.  Any updates on this?
  • DangerDBADangerDBA Posts: 1 New member
    We're seeing this issue after updating to 7.4.6.16349 today connecting to Azure SQL Managed Instance using Azure Active Directory - Password Authentication. This was working with the previous release, and rolling back fixed the issue.
  • I saw this error Monday morning 10/4. I updated to 7.4+ in an attempt to remedy the error, which it did not.

I have 3 different RDS SQL Server environments Dev, Stage, and Prod. I'm getting this error on Prod, but not on Dev. 

Any recommendations?
  • kalokalo Posts: 71 Bronze 4
    edited October 11, 2022 11:12AM
    I'm getting the same error with version 7.4.7.16362. Azure not involved so not sure why it's saying it can't access the database. Has been working previously for a good while. Just through an error when I tried today, noticed there was an update available so installed that, after that now got the "SQL Source Control can't access this database" error. Tried unlinking control and then relinking but still get the same error.
  • kalo said:
    I'm getting the same error with version 7.4.7.16362. Azure not involved so not sure why it's saying it can't access the database. Has been working previously for a good while. Just through an error when I tried today, noticed there was an update available so installed that, after that now got the "SQL Source Control can't access this database" error. Tried unlinking control and then relinking but still get the same error.
    Kalo,
       I reached out to Redgate support. They said the current version has a bug and provided me with the previous version that resolved my issue. I would recommend the same. 

Good luck!
  • mattbenhammattbenham Posts: 13 Bronze 1
    kalo said:
    Kalo,
       I reached out to Redgate support. They said the current version has a bug and provided me with the previous version that resolved my issue. I would recommend the same. 

Good luck!
    Thanks for that info, I have exactly the same issue and have logged a support ticket.
    kalo said:
    Kalo,

Good luck!
    Thanks - trouble is I updated to latest in this instance because i was already getting a different error, so haven't got time to go backwards at this point. Might need to if we have an internal release date prior to any fix though!
    This still seems to be an issue for me - have got 7.4.9 latest update. Any update on when this issue will be fixed please?
  • Hi @kalo

We don't have an update at this stage. I'd recommend downgrading to the following version for now:

https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLSourceControl/SQLSourceControl_7.3.36.16024.exe

I'd also recommend keeping an eye on the release notes page for further updates:

https://documentation.red-gate.com/soc/release-notes-and-other-versions/sql-source-control-7-4-release-notes

Kind regards,

Kurt McCormick

is there still no fix for this?- having downgraded back in October i've now started getting pop-up 'send error message' type dialogues and having updated to latest still getting the 'you haven't permissions to access the database' nonsense message.
  • Hi @kalo

Apologies, but this issue is still being worked on. We don't have a release just yet. Once there is an update, I'll make sure to post on this thread letting everyone know.

Kind regards,

Kurt McCormick