How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Job Duration Unusual Alert - Does it have to complete to alert?

ReggieReggie Posts: 6 New member
My question is pretty straightforward.  Does the "Job Duration Unusual Alert" only trigger once the job step is complete or will it alert if the job step is still running?  I was looking up the documentation but it doesn't seem to specify either way.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Ben_PBen_P Posts: 224 Silver 2
    Answer ✓
    Hi Reggie,

A few corrections to my previous response. It should alert while the job is still running since v 10.0.4.
    • SRP-12723 Job Duration Unusal alert now triggers on currently running alerts instead of only on finished alerts
    I think what this part "SQL Monitor works out the baseline duration for each job based on the most recent ten runs of that job." means is that there needs to have been 10 runs before it can work out a baseline to alert on, so if there have not yet been 10 runs then it may not raise the alert, but once there are, it should alert while the job is still running.

Answers

• Options
    Ben_PBen_P Posts: 224 Silver 2

Hi Reggie,

This alert will be raised when a job's duration is longer or shorter than its baseline duration by a specified percentage. SQL Monitor works out the baseline duration for each job based on the most recent ten runs of that job. So it will trigger once the job has finished.

• Options
    ReggieReggie Posts: 6 New member
    Thanks Ben, that's what I figured.  Unfortunately, that isn't helpful if you want to be alerted if the job is still running but taking longer.  I have a job that ran for hours longer than usual.  Didn't realize there was an issue until a user complained.  I'm working on a few alternatives but thought this might have been an easy win.