Options

Different domains.

cjeremy74cjeremy74 Posts: 14
edited April 17, 2009 6:26AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I am trying to connect to a SQL server that is on a different domain. I am able to connect to the SQL server (when I test the credentials), but I am unable to get the credentials to the computer to succesfully connect. I am able to connect to the computer via RDP and through file explorer. Is there a reason that SQL Response would limit my ability to do this. I really do not want to try to install a repository server on the other side as it would have to go directly on the SQL box.
Thanks - JC

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi JC,
    SQL Response requires that the repository and the SQL Server be on the same domain. In version 1.2, at least you will be able to put the SQL Response client in a different domain, but the repository to server security cannot cross domains at this time.
  • Options
    I spoke to few people and we all think it is a strange requirement that repository and the SQL Server must be on the same domain. This is completly out of the SQL Server concept as SQL Server alows connection to SQL Servers from different domains.

It looks like your developers have a "small" problem here (using DCOM)?

How do you expect DBAs to monitor SQL Servers on multi domain enviroement using SQLResponse? Not professional enough for me for next licence renewal.
  • Options
    dlkjdlkj Posts: 151
    edited April 7, 2010 10:57AM
    Hi ZTuner,

SQL Response is usable in a multi domain envoroment, but with a restricted set of supported configurations. If you domains have a trust link between them, ie the domains recognise each others credentials, you can use SQL Response as if you only had one domain.

The more complex scenario is when you have mulitple domains which do not have a trust link. The SQL Response client depends on windows authentication to connect to the Alert Repository. This requires you to site your Alert Repository in the same domain as the admin machine you are intending to run the SQL Response Client from.

As your SQL Server may then reside in domains without a trust link, you will not be able to use windows authentication to connect to the SQL instance. In the Server properties dialog for your remote server you will need to explicitly specify the Windows credentials for the operating system and the SQL Server authentication credentials to be used for the SQL instance.

If you have any issues with this, please let me know.

Cheers
  • Options
    Is it possible to disable SQLResponse Alert to connect to monitored server using windows login account for collecting Windows server information? I prefer to collect only information about SQL Server and in that case I can use only one Alert Repository for all SQL Servers accross multi domains as SQL Authentication is working fine accross multi domain?
  • Options
    Hi,

It isn't possible to disable the windows server information monitoring.

If you are running the Alert Repository on Windows Server 2003 or later, you should be able to specify the windows account to be used in the server properties. This does not require trust links between the domains.

--
    Daniel
  • Options
    Hi Daniel,

Thanks for help - I'm just trying to setup SQLResponse for 10 servers on 3 different domain.

Are you saying I should be able to specify the windows account to be used in the server properties to connect to Windows Server on a differnet domain without trust links between domains?

Does it mean that if I'm running Alert Repository on Windows Server 2003 on DEV domain, I should be able to connect to SERVER2 on DEV2 domain using for example SERVER2\WindowsLoginAcount1 or DEV2\WindowsLoginAcount2 without trust links between domains?

Please let me know if it makes sense?

Thanks for help
  • Options
    Hi Zturner,

That sounds about correct. You will be able to use the machine local account for the operating system part of the monitoring connection. For the SQL you will have to use SQL Server authentication.

Both the windows account and the sql server account will need to have the appropriate admin rights on the server and the SQL instance respectively.

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel
  • Options
    Hi Daniel,

Can you confirm that I’m doing the right thing. I have DOMAIN1 and Response Repository installed on SERVER1 on DOMAIN1. On DOMAIN2, I have SQLSERVER2. I created DOMAIN2\sql_demo domain windows login account on DOMAIN2 which is local administrator on SQLSERVER2.

My question is: Can I connect from Response Repository (DOMAIN1) to SQLSERVER2 (DOMAIN2) using operating DOMAIN2\sql_demo domain windows login account to monitor system part of the server without trust links between domains?

It is confusing as previously you said that SQL Response requires that the repository and the SQL Server be on the same domain (Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:11 pm), and later you said that If I’m running the Alert Repository on Windows Server 2003 or later, I should be able to specify the windows account to be used in the server properties. This does not require trust links between the domains (Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:33 pm).

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    Hi Ztuner,

I'm sorry for the confusion, Brian's post (Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:11 pm) was a bit of a simplification, and doesn't reflect the full functionality of SQL Response.

The answer to your question is yes, you can connect from Response Repository (DOMAIN1) to SQLSERVER2 (DOMAIN2) using operating DOMAIN2\sql_demo domain windows login account to monitor system part of the server without trust links between domains.

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel