The latest stable build of SQL Prompt is 9.4.15.8960 (28th of March 2019)

Michael ClarkMichael Clark Posts: 123 Silver 4
edited April 8, 2019 3:05PM in SQL Prompt
Download SQL Prompt

What's new?
  • You can now filter the suggestions that SQL Prompt shows by schemas, in addition to servers and databases.
  • SP-7368 : Qualify Object Names no longer unqualifies parameters of rowset functions.
  • SP-7515 : EI028 no longer fires on IDENTITY columns.
  • SP-7517 : Format SQL no longer throws an error when trying to format TRIM statements that specify which characters to trim.
See the full release notes for full details

Feedback

If you find any issues with this release, please post them on this forum.

If you have any suggestions for improvements, please post them on our suggestions forum so other users can vote for them.

Michael Clark
Technical Lead, SQL Monitor

Comments

• WhoeverWhoever Posts: 5 New member
    The SQL Prompt in the Toolbelt Essential, is that the full version, or you have another PRO that cost extra?  I disable the core in VS2017, see SQL Prompt, and it does not work with Microsoft Database Project.  Forum appears to say that's a Pro feature?  Thanks
  • RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @Whoever

Thanks for your post. 

The version in Toolbelt Essentials is the full version. 

I hope this helps. 

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
    Thanks.  Any idea why it doesn't work with Microsoft Database Project (SSDT)? 

I connect to SQL, open query, prompt works perfectly. 

Open a SSDT project, open a storedproc.sql script file, only standard SQL keywords like SELECT show up.  Nothing else popup, not even table names. 

I read several forum replies mentioned Prompt Pro works with SSDT. 
  • EP_EP_ Posts: 2 New member
    An alias referenced within an "[not] exists" clause is no longer updated when the alias is renamed.
  • EP_EP_ Posts: 2 New member
    At least as of release 9.1.11.5038, column suggestions (Intellisense) no longer work in correlated subqueries when referencing a table/alias outside of the subquery's scope.
    Hi @EP_

Thanks for your posts. 

Can you try the latest version instead? It is available below for download and was released yesterday. 
    ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLPrompt/16May2018/SQLPrompt_9.1.12.5083.exe

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
    Just tried the latest 5083, no intellisense inside Microsoft SSDT project.  I replicate the issue by creating an empty SSDT project, with Table1 and TestProc1.  When I type in the TestProc1, SELECT popup, so are project namespace and dbo schema, but there's no table name at all.  Tried rebuild project, refresh suggestion, different namespace and schema, same result.  Once connecting to live SQL, everything works fine.

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Table1]
    (
    [Id] INT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, 
        [UserName] VARCHAR(50) NULL
    )

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[TestProc1]
    AS 
    BEGIN 
    SELECT * FROM ta
    END

Hi @Whoever

Thanks for your reply. 

This might be something a support engineer can help you with then so please send us a ticket if you have a support contract with your serial key. 

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • myuabovmyuabov Posts: 11 Bronze 3
    Hello, I've just installed the SQL Prompt 9 Version 9.1.13.5130 update and I'm getting an error message trying to Format SQL (Ctrl+K, Ctrl+Y): "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". I'm attaching a screenshot below.

I've tried restarting SSMS then the PC and that didn't help.

The debug log has the following errors:

29 May 2018 21:23:13,415 [1] INFO  RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Utils.DependencyResolution.CustomAssemblyResolver - Runtime failed to load assembly RedGate.SQLPrompt.CommonControls.resources, Version=9.1.13.5130, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57, let's have a go29 May 2018 21:23:13,417 [1] INFO  RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Utils.DependencyResolution.CustomAssemblyResolver - Failed to load assembly RedGate.SQLPrompt.CommonControls.resources, Version=9.1.13.5130, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57 from C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 6\RedGate.SQLPrompt.CommonControls.resources.dll

The previous version worked fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Hi @myuabov

Thanks for your post. 

This looks like something a support engineer should look at for you so please send us a ticket if you have a support contract on your serial key. Don't forget to include the sample script please if possible. 

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
    Thanks, Richard -- I've submitted a support request.
  • BillKBillK Posts: 2 New member
    Same issue as  @EP_ :  suggestions not working correctly for correlated subqueries.

I was on 9.1.13.x and I updated to 9.1.14.5213 and it didn't fix the issue.

I have used previous versions of SQL prompt over the years and I know this used to work flawlessly.

Anyone else (other than @EP_ and I) seeing this?  Redgate?

Thanks.
    RichardL said:
    Hi @myuabov

Thanks for your post. 

This looks like something a support engineer should look at for you so please send us a ticket if you have a support contract on your serial key. Don't forget to include the sample script please if possible. 

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 
    I believe this issue has been resolved in Version 9.1.15.5260. Thank you!
  • BillKBillK Posts: 2 New member
    I installed Version 9.1.15.5260 and the problem is not resolved (for me).

As @EP_ said suggestions only appear for the inner table not the outer one.

Is there some setting that must be configured to make the suggestions appear?

I know this used to work in prior versions of the product.  I use exists a lot and it was always a time saver when tables had composite keys.
  • MoonshotMoonshot Posts: 1 New member
    I am not sure about anyone else.  I updated VS2017 to 15.8 and  SQL Prompt Cord to 9.2.5.6073.  Every time I try to start up a SQL editor in my IDE I get an exception.  I revert back to 9.2.0.5601 and everything works fine.  Any ideas?
  • NgainerNgainer Posts: 16 Bronze 3
    edited August 29, 2018 2:16PM
    I am seeing an issue when a column from a table is passed into a Table-valued function. The alias for the table is being removed from the column. This causes issues if there are multiple tables with the same column name. An error is generated saying the "the column name is ambiguous". Is there a way to not remove the table alias from a column being used with the CROSS APPLY operator?

SELECT dc.AccessResult
         , c.CustomerID
         , c.CustomerName
         , c.DeliveryCityID
      FROM WideWorldImporters.Sales.Customers                                           AS c
     CROSS APPLY WideWorldImporters.Application.DetermineCustomerAccess(c.DeliveryCityID) AS dc
     WHERE c.CustomerID = 566;
  • kalokalo Posts: 82 Bronze 5
    edited October 4, 2018 8:38AM
    my pc just told me there was an update so i downloaded and clicked install. the wizard then ran, got to 97% and then said Finished. Could not install. without any explanation. Now i go into SSMS and SQL Prompt and Tab history seem to have totally disappeared.

i've now re-intalled 9.2.6 from the link in the op and done an update to 9.3 successfully on second attempt
  • Does the latest release of Prompt support SSMS 18 preview 4 released by Microsoft on 24th Sept?

• brentm said:
    Does the latest release of Prompt support SSMS 18 preview 4 released by Microsoft on 24th Sept?
    It does not.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • woody__woody__ Posts: 2 New member
    edited November 16, 2018 5:40AM
    I installed 9.4.3.7121 today and SSMS keeps freezing since. I might be editing a stored procedure and move the cursor to a key words (for example "ALTER PROCEDURE") and a little icon in the sidebar keep flashing in the sidebar. If I look at the task manager there is a CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess task that is frozen and SSMS.

EDIT: If I turn off "Enable Code Analysis" it no longer crashes.
  • Woody - I have been struggling with the exact same issue with 9.4.3.7121.   Thanks for the workaround suggestion!!!
  • wschillowschillo Posts: 4 New member
    woody__ said:
    I installed 9.4.3.7121 today and SSMS keeps freezing since. I might be editing a stored procedure and move the cursor to a key words (for example "ALTER PROCEDURE") and a little icon in the sidebar keep flashing in the sidebar. If I look at the task manager there is a CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess task that is frozen and SSMS.

Thank you for this.  I couldn't figure out how to make it stop!
  • wschillowschillo Posts: 4 New member
    woody__ said:

Thank you for this.  I couldn't figure out how to make it stop!
  • Since installing this update I am no longer given any suggestions for any result in the connected database.

I also have the same issue as @wschillo and @woody__ above, with Code Analysis switched on, SSMS constantly freezes, so I've turned it off.

I'm running 9.4.4.7199
  • I just updated to 9.4.5.7296 and it looks like it didn't fix the issue of removing aliases from a table valued function's argument list. However, instead of stripping them completely it's sometimes leaving one on and other times it removes them all.

For example, this:
    CROSS APPLY dbo.FormatTIN(I.TIN, I.TIN_TYPE) AS FT

reformats as this:
    CROSS APPLY dbo.FormatTIN(I.TIN, TIN_TYPE) AS FT

But this:
    CROSS APPLY dbo.FormatPhoneNbr(P.AREA_CODE, P.PREFIX, P.NUMBER, 1) AS FPN

reformats as this:
    CROSS APPLY dbo.FormatPhoneNbr(AREA_CODE, PREFIX, NUMBER, 1) AS FPN
  • DataDaveMNDataDaveMN Posts: 1 New member
    I upgraded from 9.3 to 9.4.14 and lost intellisense.  I have closed and restarted, hit manual refresh.  Not a good experience.
  • haizmanhaizman Posts: 3 New member
    I'm unable to see suggestions in SSMS for cross server tables. Even if I refresh it doesn't work. I'm using version 9.4.15.8960. Can someone tell me where to get a previous version (not 8 and prior) of SQL Prompt 9 so I can revert back until they fix this?
  • Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    Are you referring to Linked Servers?
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • haizmanhaizman Posts: 3 New member
    Yes I am. I am unable to see any suggestions when using linked servers.
This discussion has been closed.