Can not click on alert email link (trial user)

mikewhaleymikewhaley Posts: 12
edited January 8, 2009 12:34PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I am evaluating your SQL Response product. I installed it yesterday. I have version 1.1.0.17 and am using it with SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2000. I am using Outlook 2003 with Exchange Server.

My problem is with the alert emails. I get them fine but they have a link I can't use.

Example email
Blocked SQL process

Server : SRVHQSQL
Alert Level : Low

Occurred at : 12/19/2008 8:21:21 AM

Description : Blocked process on server SRVHQSQL
More details for Server: SRVHQSQL - [url=sqlresponse://srvhqsql.phfewic.org:7398/9/8cb2fc9e8874dc0]sqlresponse://srvhqsql.phfewic.org:7398 ... c9e8874dc0[/url]
The link in the message says "blocked:: [url=sqlresponse://srvhqsql.phfewic.org....]sqlresponse://srvhqsql.phfewic.org....[/url]." when I roll over it. I click and it gives me the file select dialog block to associated an EXE with it. I selected IEXPLORE.EXE and it does open. But it just goes to my home page.

I paste that link into an open IE and it doesn't work either. I change it to [url=HTTP://....]HTTP://....[/url]. and it doesn't work either.
https://srvhqsql.phfewic.org:7398/9/8cb2fc9e8874dc0 doesn't work either.

How do I make use of the alert links?

Comments

• Hi,

Do you have the SQL Response GUI installed on the machine you are reading the e-mails on?

The link in the e-mail is designed to open the alert in the SQL Response GUI.

I hope this helps.
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry
  • We run the Microsoft Office applications off Citrix so I run Outlook off one of our Citrix servers. I do have SQL Response loaded locally on that workstation, but not on all the Citrix machines.

If you all run Citrix what do you do with this problem? If not I don't understand the
    [url=sqlresponse://srvhqsql.phfewic.org:7398/9/8cb2fc9e8874dc0]sqlresponse://srvhqsql.phfewic.org:7398 ... c9e8874dc0[/url]
    syntax. If I was going to do a file association what is the "sqlresponse://" doing?
  • Hi,

Basically we create a registry key which associates sqlresponse:// with our GUI executable as per this article :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa767914(VS.85).aspx

I can send you the registry keys we add, it may be possible for you to change the path of the executable to make this work?
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry
  • Sorry I missed this response for a few days. If you can pass me the registry import that would help. I am going to experiment with this on Citrix to see if I can get it to work.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    The e-mail alert makes use of the Asynchronous Pluggable Protocols for launching the SQL Response Client from an e-mail link, as per this msdn article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa767914.aspx

It maybe possible to modify the following registry key to reflect the path:

HKEY_CLASSES_Root\sqlresponse\shell\open\command

There is a default registry key which contains the path to open the SQL Response Client which by default will be:
    "C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Response 1\SQL Response Client.exe" /openlink %1

I hope the above information helps.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com