The Add-in 'SSMS Integration Pack Framework' failed to load or caused an exception

Windows 2012 R2 with SQL 2014 Std (12.0.5556.0)
Initially updated my SQL Developer Bundle to the latest version (2.0.1.2056) 8th Nov 2017 - no errors doing the install.
When I go into SSMS, I get the Add-in error above plus the question to remove the add-in. The Error message is "The parameter is incorrect". Error number: 80070057.
I then uninstalled all the RedGate software installed on the machine and tried again. No luck.
I then repeated this but also deleted the folder "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SQL Server Management Studio" as the only add-ins were the RedGate ones. I also deleted the folder "C:\ProgramData\Red Gate" but kept the Licenses folder within here. Still no luck.
Any ideas as to what it going wrong?
Reagrds
Chris
Tagged:

Best Answer

• tlbroadbenttlbroadbent Posts: 25 Bronze 3
    Same issue here after installing products using Redgate Installer for SQL Toolbelt version 2.0.1.2056. I uninstalled SSMS Integration Pack 1 and SSMS Integration Pack Framework. I installed the integration pack using the latest Toolbelt installer (2.0.1.2105). This solved the problem for me.

Note: the reinstall only installed SSMS Integration Pack 1, not the framework.
    Terry L Broadbent
    Database Administrator
    L-3 Communications, Inc.

Answers

• SteSte Posts: 2 New member
    Getting exactly the same on fresh install of SQLToolbelt (2.0.1.2045), no errors on install but getting 80070057, the parameter is incorrect on SSMS start up. Not removed and reinstalled yet.
  • Thanks Terry. This approach also works for the SQL Developer Bundle (2.0.1.2099). It must be something to do with the install sequence.
  • SteSte Posts: 2 New member
    Tried reinstalling and also repair option didn't work for me, had to remove all SSMS add ins and then did another repair and it worked.
  • Calvin_PCalvin_P Posts: 2 New member
    Having the same issue.
    Downloaded the latest installer.
    Running SSMS 12.2.5000.0

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling SSMS Integration Pack 1, however, still getting the same issue.
  • Hi @Chris Gorringe

Please try the followings steps in order to get around this error message:

1) Close any running instance of SSMS
    2) From Programs and Features, if there is still a program installed called "SSMS Integration Pack Framework 1", uninstall this (note: you may also have a "SSMS Integration Pack 1" installed, which should remain installed)
    3) Delete the folder c:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SIPFw if it still exists
    4) Reboot
    5) Reinstall or repair SQL Source Control/SQL Doc/SQL Search/ SQL Test/Dependency tracker/SQL Data Generator (either option should repopulate c:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SIPFw and reinstall called "SSMS Integration Pack Framework 1")
    6) Launch SSMS to check if the error still occurs

This should free you of the error in question.

Kind regards
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • Hi Richard
    Many thanks for this. Is the issue the left over package "SSMS Integration Pack Framework 1"?
    Kind regards

Chris
  • Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Chris,

The SSMS Integration Pack Framework 1 is what integrates our plugins into SSMS 2014 and earlier, and it used to be installed as a separate program onto your machine. The most recent versions of our plugins, however, just include the files for the SSMS Integration Pack Framework 1 in their own installs so that a separate "SSMS Integration Pack Framework 1" program is no longer needed.

The "parameter is incorrect" error usually means that the files for the SSMS Integration Pack Framework 1 (located in c:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SIPFw) are corrupted. A leftover SSMS Integration Pack Framework 1 install normally shouldn't affect this but it's possible that old files from the original install weren't cleared out. This is why deleting c:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SIPFw and repairing one of the tools should usually help.

Hope that helps explain things!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Calvin_PCalvin_P Posts: 2 New member
    So, I tried 3 different installers.

2.0.1.2045 - failed
    2.0.1.2105 - failed
    2.0.1.1972 - success

I downloaded the first two installers off the Redgate website. Luckily my colleague had an older copy which worked. If anyone is experiencing this issue maybe its easier to give them an earlier version of the installer.
    Thanks @Calvin_P!

Yes it seems something about the newer versions of the tools (included with the newer installers) is corrupting the SIPFw for various users but it hasn't been consistent so it's not clear why.

Can I just confirm if you were able to try the workaround above with no luck?

• I'm also unable to update. I uninstalled everything (and ensured that the SIPFw folder was removed) and re-installed and continue to get the error above. I'm also running SSMS 2014 but am on Windows 10.
    Sorry to hear that @lambacck!

Can you please try the following:

1. Close SSMS
    2. Delete the folder C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SIPFw
    3. Also delete the file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SQL Server Management Studio\11.0\Addins\RedGate.SIPFramework.addin
    4. From Programs and Features, repair SQL Search

• goodsoupgoodsoup Posts: 3 New member
    I have recently ran into some problems using the redgate toolbelt:
    - struggled to uninstall certain tools, had to use a third party uninstall tool to get rid of them to then try reinstalling them (see here)
    - every time i load ssms i get the message "the add-in 'ssms integration pack framework' failed to load".
    - The all the redgate tools are missing from the redgate toolbar

i've tried uninstalling/repairing ssms integration pack 1 (i dont have ssms integration pack framework listed in add/remove programs) god knows how many times following a few solutions from this forum to no avail, solutions generally revolve around repairing redgate toolbelt items or deleting ssms and redgate %programdata% folders.
    while the redgate tool shortcuts are missing from the redgate toolbar (toolbar>customise>redgate) the sql prompt menu item exists and when i right click a database options for sql compare are in the context menu. ideally i would like sql search etc to be back in the redgate toolbar if i can because i have no idea how to access them otherwise.

To try and solve the problem i've tried to remove every last trace of visual studio, ssms, redgate toolbelt and all of their settings and %programdata% from the machine and the registry, and then reinstall it all again, and all of the same problems still persist.
  • Hi @goodsoup

There was already a thread on this topic and so I've merged your thread in to this one. You should be able to resolve your issue by checking the answers above in this thread.

Thanks for your post.
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
    Hi all,

These issues with the SSMS Integration Pack Framework (SIPFw) files should be resolved in all of our installers as of today (November 29, 2017).

If you still experience issues after updating/installing with any installer after today, however, please let us know!

• kyleslonekyleslone Posts: 1 New member
    I'm still experiencing the issue. I'm using Redgate Installer version 2.0.1.2371
  • FlingerFlinger Posts: 2 New member
    edited March 6, 2018 2:30PM
    I'm still experiencing the issue.
  • RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @Flinger

Thanks for your post.

Can you check that you are using the most recent version of the software and that your system meets the requirements?
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
    Hi @Flinger,

Can you please confirm as well which SSMS addins of ours you have on your machine? (SQL Search, SQL Test, SQL Prompt, SQL Source Control)

Can you please also let us know what SSMS versions you have installed and which are having the issue?

(I'd like to try completely deleting all of our addin-related files from your machine and then reinstalling, but need to confirm the paths to delete from first.)

• FlingerFlinger Posts: 2 New member
    I was using a very old version of SSMS. I updated to the newest version and everything is working perfectly. Thanks Redgate!
    Glad to hear that @Flinger! :)

@kyleslone Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, can you please let us know which Redgate tools are already installed on your machine (if any) as well as what SSMS versions you have installed and which are having the issue?

• kalokalo Posts: 82 Bronze 5
    Jessica R said:
    Hi all,

These issues with the SSMS Integration Pack Framework (SIPFw) files should be resolved in all of our installers as of today (November 29, 2017).

If you still experience issues after updating/installing with any installer after today, however, please let us know!
    i am in the midst of this problem having just installed from the sent out zip file that fixes SQL Search.

Hi @kalo

Thanks for your post. 

Have you tried Jess' workaround from November 23rd? 
    The following was suggested: 

1. Close SSMS
    3. Also delete the file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SQL Server Management Studio\11.0\Addins\RedGate.SIPFramework.addin

I hope this works for you. 

Best

Richard. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
    edited March 26, 2018 11:50AM
    FYI : For some reason, if you click quote and start writing your comment in the white area following the quote, but then decide to delete what you wrote but send the cursor back into the quote area, you can't then move the cursor out of the quote area. Even if you come out of the forum and back in, it remembers what you had written before and keeps the cursor in this quote box. so posting this to get out of the quote
    RichardL said:

Hi @kalo

Thanks for your post. 

Have you tried Jess' workaround from November 23rd? 
    The following was suggested: 

1. Close SSMS

Best

Richard.

Hi Richard,
    I followed this advice last time this issue occurred (When i tried rolling back SQL Search to 3.0.4) and it successfully sorted out the problem. So when this issue occurred again when installing the latest SQL Search i dug out this advice and followed it again. This time it didn't work but maybe i didn't follow it to the letter. As i didn't have time to figure out what i had done wrong, i just decided to uninstall everything and reinstall again from the toolbelt.exe. And this sorted the issue out , although left me on SQL Search 3.0.7. I will wait for my current deployment task to be over before trying to update again. Thanks for the reply.

@kalo

Thanks for this. 

It seems that if you select all using CTRL + A and then delete, the field is blank again with no quotation. 

I'm glad also that your issue is now sorted. Do let us know if the steps worked for you anyway if you experience it again. 

Best

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • MylesRipMylesRip Posts: 4 New member
    None of the above has worked for me. I have uninstalled, deleted reinstalled, etc. multiple times with no luck in getting SQL Search 3.1 to work with SSMS 2014. The "SSMS Integration Pack Framework" does not show in Programs & Features and there is no "repair" option for SQL Search - just "uninstall". 
  • Hi @MylesRip

Can you try installing the latest version to see if that helps? Here's a download link - ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLSearch/01May2018/SQLSearch.exe

Thanks
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • I found an orphaned registry entry, not removed by SSMS Integration Pack or SQL Search uninstallation:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Shell\AddIns\RedGate.SIPFramework.Connect]

Remove this, and SSMS works fine again :)