Options

SQL Prompt Core suggestions for SSDT projects

SystemSystem Posts: 10 New member
This discussion was created from comments split from: The latest stable build of SQL Prompt is 8.2.4.2825 (25th October).
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    shand_obsshand_obs Posts: 3 New member
    edited October 27, 2017 4:00PM
    I installed this version yesterday. I can no longer get SQL Prompt suggestions. It's like the extension is not even installed. I can still refresh suggestions (the refresh pop up appears for a second or two), but nothing I do makes the suggestions popup appear.

I tried reverting back to the extension included with Visual Studio which restored the prompt, but subsequently installing the latest version puts it back into a non-working state.
  • Options
    Hi @shand_obs,

What version of SQL Prompt are you using? Is it SQL Prompt Core or SQL Prompt Pro?

You can find the version in the menu SQL Prompt -> Help -> About SQL Prompt

We changed behaviour in the latest release so that we do not override SSDT autocomplete if you have a SSDT Database Project in your solution.

Best wishes,

Michael
    Michael Clark
    Technical Lead, SQL Monitor
  • Options
    8.2.4.2825 Core

I do have a SSDT project in my solution, but I much prefer the SQL Prompt autocomplete over the SSDT autocomplete. Is there any work around for this? What's the reason SQL Prompt is disabled for SSDT?
  • Options
    Hi @shand_obs,

We disable SQL Prompt for SSDT because we do not yet support offline suggestions from SQL files in Visual Studio/SSDT Projects which was causing users to lose capabilities provided by the Native Intellisense. There's not currently a workaround except using SQL Prompt Pro, but we would like to understand a bit more about how you are trying to use SQL Prompt Core.

Would it be possible to ask a little about how you are using SQL Prompt with the SSDT project? Are you using a connected query window while in a database project for instance? What do you prefer about SQL Prompt's autocomplete?

If you would like us to support suggestions from SSDT files, would it be possible to vote for this feature on UserVoice? It would be great to understand how this feature would help you.
    https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/94413-sql-prompt/suggestions/5985591-load-suggestions-from-sql-files-in-visual-studio-s

Thanks,
    Michael
    Michael Clark
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2017 5:46PM
    That seems so odd. I could swear it works fine in my SSDT project, at least it was before the update. We use Azure SQL, but I'm not often connected to the database when I'm working.

SQL Prompt's autocomplete provides fuzzy search suggestions. I can type "mct" for example, and if I have a table called "MyCrazyTable", SQL Prompt suggests it. SQL Prompt also automatically puts square brackets around my selections. The native intellisense only completes square brackets if I remember to type one at the start, but I got so accustomed to the shortcuts from SQL Prompt that I find myself frequently omitting the opening square bracket. Finally, SQL Prompt suggests keywords, so writing a MERGE becomes faster not having to remember all of the fluent crap that has to go in there.

I will go vote on this suggestion, but I really want to know how this ever worked for me before. My workflow hasn't changed and something I found really useful just disappeared.

EDIT: SQL Prompt also auto completes my schema names. I don't have to start typing a schema name; I can just start typing a table name and when I choose the suggestion it auto inserts the schema prefix for me. With the native intellisense I don't even get any of my table names in the suggestions until I type the schema prefix.
  • Options
    Hi @shand_obs,

Yes you are correct there, we changed the support in the latest release. We are sorry that this has disrupted your workflow.

Thanks for describing in detail how SQL Prompt Core helps you. Although we won't be able to bring back support in the next release, what I can do is forward on your feedback about how SQL Prompt Core helps you with SSDT projects to our Product Manager so that they can take your workflow into consideration when planning for the future.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Michael Clark
  • Options
    GHauanGHauan Posts: 13 New member
    What is the difference between core and pro versions? I have version 9.1.0.4138, but it says nothing about core or pro.
  • Options
    Michael ClarkMichael Clark Posts: 123 Silver 4
    edited March 8, 2018 1:16PM
    Hi @GHauan,

SQL Prompt Core is freely available in Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise, however it only has basic code completion -- it does not have features like formatting, code analysis.

You can find out more about SQL Prompt Core here:
    https://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt-core/

Best,
    Michael
    Michael Clark
  • Options
    GHauanGHauan Posts: 13 New member
    Are there any news to how this works since the last comments? I have opted out of installing SQL Prompt to VS due to this change in behavior, but wondered about if has been approved now?
  • Options
    We haven't really changed much in the Core product, no.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • Options
    bpenbpen Posts: 2 New member
    I have SQL Prompt Pro, but I am not able to see SQL Prompt menu item on SSDT even after installing updates for both SQL Prompt and SSDT.

Any suggestions/steps for making SQL Prompt work for SSDT database projects ?