Options

Profile ASP.NET application - "Server unavailable"

Hi!

Have been reading here for similar problems like this one, but not quite..

I have a ASP.NET application that I wanted to profile with ANTS 4. The application worked fine just before, but when I tried to profile it, firstly I got this error message:

Could not start IIS.
RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Exceptions.CannotStartIisSessionException
at bs.Launch()
at RedGate.Profiler.Session.ProfilerSession.h()

Caused by:

Could not start IIS.
RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Exceptions.CannotStartIisSessionException
at bs.Launch()

Caused by:

Couldn't log on as the ASPNET user ASPNET on domain . [1909]
RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IISException
stack trace:
at bi.a(String , String )
at bs.a(String , String )
at bs.a(String , FrameworkVersion , IisVersion )
at bs.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, Uri& url)
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IISStarter.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, Uri& url)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)
rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IProxyIISSession.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, Uri& url)
at bs.Launch()

And after this, I can´t start or debug my application (not using ANTS). This is when I get the message "Server Application Unavailable". My application is hosted by IIS 5.1, I´m using windows XP Professional. I´ve tried to restart IIS, my computer, and uninstalled ASP.NET and installed it again and registred it in IIS again.

So my question is if Ants can change some settings for my ASPNET account or maybe my web.config or machine.config somehow? Or if there is some other things I can try? It seems like there could be some issues with my ASPNET acoount after using ANTS. (I´ve used ANTS before on desktop applications with no problems)

/Regards

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    System error 1909 means your ASPNET account is locked out. I'd suggest checking Computer Management and unlocking the acount there.

What got it locked out in the first place may be of concern, though. For instance, if you have manually specified the ASPNET account password instead of letting the computer manage it (AUTOGENERATE), then this problem could be caused because the username and password are incorrect in the processModel of the machine.config file for the .NET framework.

It may also be worth noting that the bit in ANTS Profiler that lets you set a username and password for the ASPNET user should generally be left at auto-detect unless the ASPNET password is encrypted using aspnet_setreg.exe.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply!

It seem to be working fine now. And yes it was the ASPNET account that was strange... no password or username was set in machine.config at all, maybe this had something to do with it, since ANTS had auto detect in this setting (I think!).

Will try later to profile my application again and see if this where the case.

thnx!
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    True -- in ASP .NET 2.0's machine.config, you can set autoConfig="true", which is the same as userName="MACHINE" password="AUTOGENERATE", which is going to use the ASPNET account.