Excluding "Z" Tables by schema Compare

I have a question about whether tables can be filtered from the schema compare based upon a naming convention? For example, can all tables that begin with “Z” be excluded by Schema Compare? We do have option in Source control to filter the objects.

Here are a couple additional notes for things I’ve seen.

Timestamps don’t have the precision defined. In one of the Environment it’s set as TIMESTAMP(6), but the script only has TIMESTAMP. I believe it’s 6 by default on the database so the result be the same when executed.
Looks like it identified a column rename correctly for faowner.sec_rfr_mas_dmn. Reading about rename logic, there can be times it misses the renames. I would feel more comfortable if we put in a process which scans the script for dangerous actions like dropping columns, and requires there to be a manual review and approval.
It did catch the column which was altered in DEV2, but no script was committed for it. I’m going to take the statements it created and commit them to the repo for the next build so we can see how they perform.

Thanks,
Adithya
Tagged:

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,779 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Adithya

To answer your question:
    I have a question about whether tables can be filtered from the schema compare based upon a naming convention? For example, can all tables that begin with “Z” be excluded by Schema Compare? We do have option in Source control to filter the objects.

My answer depends upon the interface you are using.
    If you are using the Schema Compare GUI, the answer is no. You can filter by object type but not by object name. If this is something you would like to see in a future version of Schema Compare, please vote and comment of this Uservoice forum topic:
    https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/174014-oracle-tools/suggestions/6312992-need-the-filter-capability-that-sql-compare-curren
    OR
    https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/174014-oracle-tools/suggestions/15188652-filter-objects-by-user-custom-text-filter

In regards to the following two questions:
    Timestamps don’t have the precision defined. In one of the Environment it’s set as TIMESTAMP(6), but the script only has TIMESTAMP. I believe it’s 6 by default on the database so the result be the same when executed.
    Schema Compare obtains the DDL for each object to be compared by querying various data dictionaries. If the information in the data dictionary does not have the precision Schema Compare does not include it. If you have an example where you believe this is not correct, please submit a support request to [email protected] with an example of the problem.

Same again with the renamed object, please submit a support request and provide an example where the rename was not detected.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: [email protected]