Options

Failed "Registering data sources"

PerryPerry Posts: 3
edited August 2, 2016 3:46AM in SQL Compare 11
Using Red Gate SQL Compare v11.2.1.82 which worked fine against a SQL Server 2014 on Win Server 2008. But when connecting to SQL Server 2016 on a Win Server 2012 I get a red X next to "Registering data sources" when trying to connect. Does this version not support SQL Server 2016? If it does is there something special I need to do?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Perry,

We added support for connecting to SQL Server 2016 instances in 11.2.3. The latest V11 release is 11.6.11, which I highly recommend upgrading to. You can see what updates are available at any time by clicking "Help -> Check for updates" within the tool.

Full support for all features of SQL Server 2016 will be available in SQL Compare 12, which we are currently working on. The latest version of V12 is now available via frequent updates if you would like to try it out.

Regards,
    David
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    I updated to v11.6 and now I can connect to SQL 2016. Thanks.
    What do you mean by full SQL 2016 support in v12? What will we be able to do with SQL 2016 in v12 that we can't in v11.x?
  • Options
    Hi Perry,

We don't currently have support for temporal tables, always encrypted and stretch tables when using a filter function. All these features and further improvements to our 2016 support will be coming to V12 over the coming months. While we provided some early 2016 support in V11, our official supported version of Compare and Data Compare for SQL Server 2016 will be V12.

David
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software