Options

"The File Exists" error

maknoxmaknox Posts: 10
I started receiving this error yesterday with the SQLTools, and now it happens in SQLDataCompare as well with any database I try to compare. I tried deleting the files in my temporary directies (all I could find), rebooted multiple times, and uninstalled, reinstalled. No luck either way.

I did a compare successfully on one table, but can't do it on any others or apparently on multiple tables.

I have a database migration that needs to be done this afternoon, and unfortunately we have become VERy dependent upon this tool to move the data.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michael Knox

Comments

• Options
    Hi Michael,

Has the computer got .NET Framework 2.0 installed? The Framework Beta seems to have messed up the temporary file allocation routine (which is not our code, but .net's code...).

We don't recommend running Data Compare with .net Framework 2.0 Beta, but you may be able to get around the problem by installing Framework 1.0 alongside the other versions. If that version is present, Data Compare will use it rather than 2.0.
  • Options
    Just framework 1.1, no 2.0

I was showing the program to some of our users and it worked first first time and failed the second which happened less than a minute later.

It does appear to work on another machine, which I would expect.

Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    I do not have any further suggestions to fix this problem.

I've turned it over to the programmers at this point because I think that part of the Microsoft .NET FRamework API (GetTempFileName) is returning duplicate file names for temporary files.
This discussion has been closed.