"Machine unreachable" Alerts

DJ WilsonDJ Wilson Posts: 2 Bronze 1
edited October 12, 2015 5:06AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Good Afternoon,

Hopefully I am in the right place asking this question!

What is the general expected up-time of a Live Database Server, 99%, 99.99%, 100%?!

The reason I am asking is the we have SQL Monitor 4.0 configured and have received 2 alerts from a Production Server with "Machine unreachable" as the alert being raised.

It was also noted from a separate user that they got a "A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)" and their connection to the database server in question had dropped when they tried to run a query against a database.

My own opinion is that this should be 100% up-time, but I am also looking for other DBA's views on what the normal expected up-time of a server would be, excluding any predefined Maintenance Windows.

These 2 alerts received within 70 minutes of each other is a cause for concern and has been raised internally but I would like to be able to include views of other DBA's who also be using SQL Monitor as it may be useful to back up my expectation with similar views of others!

Thanks in advance for any feedback or opinions.

Cheers

DJ

Comments

• DJ Wilson,

Thanks for contacting Redgate.

You can find further information on your specific SQL Monitor error at the following link. http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SM4/Monitoring+status+explained

As for the general uptime, this would really depend on the company and any contract's in place. When I was DBA'ing we had contracts with customers specifying 99.989% uptime. This would give you a 45-minute maintenance window each month. So you're probably correct that you want to be near 100% without maintenance or disaster recovery.

If you need further assistance diagnosing the SQL monitor issues please let me know.
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software