Restore master Database for Named Instance

TomRothTomRoth Posts: 7 Bronze 2
edited September 9, 2015 6:59AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I'm testing my DR procedures, and I'm having an issue restoring the master database for a named instance of SQL. I'm running SQLBackup 7.7.0.18. My current configuration is:

New Server
- Default Instance (SQL Server 2014 Standard Edition)
- SQL2012 (Named Instance of SQL Server 2012 Standard Edition)

I was able to successfully restore all of the system and user databases for the default instance of SQL Server 2014. The problem occurs when I try to use the same processes to restore the named instance of SQL2012. I used the following process:

- Open a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator)
- sqlservr.exe -c -m -s SQL2012
- The named instance of SQL2012 is successfully running in single-user mode

- Open a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator)
- Navigate to the directory where SQLBackupC.exe is located for the named instance (SQL2012)
- C:Program Files (x86)Red GateSQL Backup 7SQL2012
- Restore the master database
SQLBackupC.exe -SQL "RESTORE DATABASE master FROM DISK = 'E:SQLBakFULL_master_20150908_105349.sqb' WITH REPLACE " -I SQL2012
- This is where the error occurs.
- It appears as though the restore command is attempting to access the default instance of SQL instead of the named instance. I know this for two reasons: First of all, I opened up SSMS for the default instance and ran Activity Manager. When I run the restore command for the named instance, I see SQLBackupC in the Activity Manager for the default instance. Secondly, I get a different error message if the default instance is running or stopped.

I have navigated to the correct folder for the named instance related to Red Gate. I'm using the proper instance parameter (-I), so I have no idea why SQLBackupC is trying to use the default instance. Any assistance would greatly be appreciated!!!

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you please run the SQL Backup command line interface with the -debug flag e.g.

SQLBackupC.exe -SQL "RESTORE DATABASE master FROM DISK = 'E:SQLBakFULL_master_20150908_105349.sqb' WITH REPLACE " -I SQL2012 -debug

and send me the contents of the log file (SQLBackupC_log.txt) that's generated in the same folder where SQLBackupC.exe is installed in.

Could you also please send me the output from the SQL Backup command line interface when you try to restore the 'master' database?

My email address is peter.yeoh@red-gate.com. Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8