Feature Request - Alerts through Database Mail

lewismotenlewismoten Posts: 58
edited August 1, 2017 12:41PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
SMTP mail is not an option for me at the moment with the current access control levels. However, one of the databases that I am monitoring has been granted access to send email to the relay. A database mail account has been setup and is used for SQL Agent alerts. It is also used with notifications on subtasks within maintenance plans. The repository does not sit on this same machine, so it does not have access to send out email.

It would be nice to have SQL Response send email alerts through database mail as an option.

In addition, my SMTP relay requires windows digest authentication. The current setup for repository emails does not have this feature. It just says account username/password (regular authentication measures).
execute msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail 
	@profile_name = 'Database Monitoring',
	@recipients = [url='dba@yourdomain.com]'dba@yourdomain.com[/url]', 
	@subject = 'Alert', 
	@body='Hey, there is a problem!'

Comments

• Hi Lewis,

I've logged both your suggestions. I would expect that SMTP digest authentication will be included in a future point release.

Regards,
    --
    Daniel
  • Interesting, because Database Mail goes through SMTP as well, no?

You can't simulate SQL Response as the DB mail account?
    unless they block by IP, SMTP authentication should work with a set of username/password, and a valid FROM email address
    Jerry Hung
    DBA, MCITP
  • ACL levels on the relay only allows specific machines to send email through it. I had to put in a request just to permit the database server to send email. The repository is still setup on my local machine until a server can be setup for it. My local machine does not have access to send email through the SMTP relay. In addition, SMTP authentication uses digest authentication, so it's not your normal username/password authentication.
    jerryhung wrote:
    Interesting, because Database Mail goes through SMTP as well, no?

You can't simulate SQL Response as the DB mail account?
    unless they block by IP, SMTP authentication should work with a set of username/password, and a valid FROM email address