"Thread blocked" unable to see

MariusMarius Posts: 5 New member
edited January 20, 2015 12:17PM in ANTS Performance Profiler 9
Hello,

we have a problem with a program, which is that sometimes there is a 100% CPU load.

So I tried to reconstruct this problem with a endless loop in a new thread.
Now I want to see, that the Performance Profiler 9 can indentificate this method and tell me the name of the method..

This should be done after I done a few things in the program and the thread is working.
When i attach now the performance profiler, while the thread I want to identificate is working, the Performance Profiler only shows me "Blocked thread".
I think, the "Blocked Thread" is the Thread im searching for, but I can't see methods of it or something else.

Is there a way to see the method name of the endless loop working thread?

Sorry for my bad english. I hope you understand my problem.

Best Regards,

Marius

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Marius,

Thanks for your post!

Can I first check--had you already attached to that same process before without restarting it?

The profiler can only obtain meaningful results the first time you use "Attach to .NET 4+ process" on it--if you attach a subsequent time without restarting the process first, the profiler won't show any useful results and may just show 'Thread blocked' as you are seeing.

However, if that was only the first time you attached and it still only showed 'Thread Blocked', are you able to try starting your program through the profiler instead of using the "Attach to .NET 4+ process" option to see if that gives better detail about the endless loop?

Please let me know how you get on!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• MariusMarius Posts: 5 New member
    Thank you for your reaplay!

Yes I started "Attach to .NET 4+ process" on the process at first time I started it. So there shouldn't be the problem.

I done this and it shows me what I expected, the right name of the Thread and everything I need to know. The problem is, we don't know exactly when the real problem is occuring. So we need the performance profiler in case that the problem is occuring:

- Someone uses the program
    - Anytime the program has the problem with 100% CPU load
    - We want to start profiler and attach it to the thread to see, whats happened.

Thank you.
    Hi Marius,

Ah I see, many thanks for those details!

Just checking-- what type of application are you profiling? And how long does it normally take after it's started for it to reach 100% CPU load?

Is it possible for your to send your profiling results over to us to take a look?

Hello Jessica,

I'm profiling a C# application on .NET 4.

I'm sorry for my late answer. I tryed to reconstruct the problem in a simple application with a thread, but there it done all right, how I tryed to do it in our program.

Next I tryed it with the Visual Studio Performance Profiler from Microsoft, and this seems to works fine.

Nevertheless i can send you the profiling session from our program, but i dont see any "Upload Button" here in the forum. How can I send you this?

Thanks for your help.
    Hi Marius,

We have a ticket open for you (#35245) and I've just updated it with steps to send over the results. Please let me know if you don't receive this! (The updates should be going to the email address you signed up for the forums with.)

Kind regards,

Jessica Ramos

I tryed to login with the Email-Address but I get the message "There's no Red Gate ID with that email address."

Isn't it the same account like the account for this forum?
    Have I to register with my Email-Address?
    Hi Marius,

Apologies for not clarifying! It is a different account for the forum. You'll just need to register for a Red Gate ID with your email address and confirm your email. Then when you log in to the support site, you will see the ticket #35245 listed under your requests.