"No Full Database Backup Specified"

MindfluxMindflux Posts: 47
edited January 28, 2008 11:16AM in SQL Log Rescue
I get this warning when Selecting a backup I did with SQLBackup v5 from around 9am today, and then all the incremental logs from 10 to 2pm give me that nothing relevant is contained within them.

Why is this? Even if I select just the backup from earlier today I get the error message that no full backup is specified and it'll be ignored for having no relevant information? So what good is it if I cannot open a SQLBackup backup?

If I do the same thing with an Microsoft SQLEM backup from the other day, it does not give me those warnings/errors.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

I think this could be caused by an outdated copy of the Sqb2MTF.exe in the Log Rescue program folder. Log Rescue does not read .sqb files directly -- it converts them first using sqb2mtf. If you have the latest version of SQL Backup handy, please try copying sqb2mtf into Log Rescue's program folder and see if that works.
  • Hello,

I think this could be caused by an outdated copy of the Sqb2MTF.exe in the Log Rescue program folder. Log Rescue does not read .sqb files directly -- it converts them first using sqb2mtf. If you have the latest version of SQL Backup handy, please try copying sqb2mtf into Log Rescue's program folder and see if that works.

100% Correct. This fixed it.
    :)
  • Mindflux wrote:
    Hello,

100% Correct. This fixed it.
    :)

I take that back, It uncompresses it now.. but still tells me it's not a full backup or valid backup.
    Can you please post the full text of the message from Log Rescue? I can think of two or three similar problems to this description, so the exact text would help.
  • Can you please post the full text of the message from Log Rescue? I can think of two or three similar problems to this description, so the exact text would help.

I'll see if I can get it. FWIW I used the dos converter to convert the sqb to a bak and then selected that file in the Log Rescue GUI and it didn't harp about it not being a good backup file.
  • logres.jpg

This backup is from this morning, but if that .sqb was a .mtf it would have said it was ready to examine it and the live log.
    How many backup files did you specify... just the one?
  • How many backup files did you specify... just the one?

Yep. Just the last full backup from this morning (in this instance). Even if I specify every hourly log backup from this morning until my latest one I'll get that "no relevant info" for each log file as well.
    Is the backup file part of a set of backup files? (see here)
  • Is the backup file part of a set of backup files? (see here)

It's a full backup, done nightly. Not part of an incremental or differential backup.
    To be more specific, is it part of a full beckup that has been split across several files, for instance exec master..sqlbackup '-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [x] TO DISK=''something.sqb'', DISK=''somethingelse.sqb''"'

Log Rescue doesn't support split backup files.
  • To be more specific, is it part of a full beckup that has been split across several files, for instance exec master..sqlbackup '-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [x] TO DISK=''something.sqb'', DISK=''somethingelse.sqb''"'

Log Rescue doesn't support split backup files.

Nope, single file backup.
    EXECUTE master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "BACKUP DATABASES [master, model, msdb, DHL, DHL_Missing, DHL_Orig, pubs] TO DISK = ''C:\SQLBACKUP\Daily\DB\<database>\<AUTO>.sqb'' WITH COMPRESSION = 1, COPYTO = ''E:\SQLBACKUP\Daily\DB\<Database>\'', ERASEFILES = 4, FILEOPTIONS = 1, MAILTO = ''[email protected]', THREADCOUNT = 3, VERIFY"', @exitcode OUT, @sqlerrorcode OUT

Hi,

The problem is that Log Rescue doesn't handle multithreaded full backups. I have tried this myself, and on the same database it works with a regular backup file, but if I increase the THREADCOUNT to 3, I get the same error as yourself. I'll log a bug and document this. Thanks for pointing it out.
  • Hi,

The problem is that Log Rescue doesn't handle multithreaded full backups. I have tried this myself, and on the same database it works with a regular backup file, but if I increase the THREADCOUNT to 3, I get the same error as yourself. I'll log a bug and document this. Thanks for pointing it out.

Ahhhh. Well that explains it. As I said if I used the DOS sqb2mtf.exe and convert it it works, though it split it into 3 files (maybe one per thread?).

It would be nice to have this fixed :) Thanks for testing it out.
  • Hi,

This post is from October 2007. Is this still an issue? I'm running SQL Backup 5.2.0.2825 and SQL Log Rescue 1.2.0.29.