Options

SQLWB.exe temporarily "hangs" the system

hansmankhansmank Posts: 5
edited August 8, 2007 10:01AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
After installing SQL prompt 3.5, I experience a periodical "hang" of my system.
It occured after working for a couple of hours in SQL Server Management studio. I looked in taskmanager and the reason was excessive cpu consumpsion by SQLWB.exe (wich is SQL Server Management studio). Every time it lasted about 15 to 30 seconds.

Is there a relation with SQL Promt 3.5?

Comments

• Options
    Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi there,

It's possible that could be due to SQL Prompt 3.5, however I couldn't really tell you why it might be happening, or even whether it is due to Prompt, without a bit more information.

Do you have automatic caching enabled? It may be that SQL Prompt is updating it's cached copy of any saved databases. It may also be that SQL Prompt is loading a new database you've selected from the dropdown, or using a USE statement.

Lastly, are you working with particularly large scripts? If so you might see this happening if SQL Prompt realises it has become out of sync with SSMS. It doesn't keep a separate copy of the script, but it does keep track of things like script length, how many lines there are, and other important information. If it realises there is a mismatch between this record and the information SSMS is reporting about the script it may force reprocessing of the script. A 30 second delay would be relatively uncommon though and would suggest a very large script was being used.

Does any of this fit with what you're experiencing?

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd