creating SQL Packager "upgrade" package

fordc03fordc03 Posts: 49 Bronze 2
edited December 31, 2006 12:38PM in SQL Toolkit Previous Versions
In the Toolkit examples, it shows how to create a "new" database from an existing "baseline", but it doesn't show how I can create an upgrade package.

I need to create an upgrade package and apply that upgrade to several databases.

I am not sure how to do that? I've made sure that the schema's are identical, then I've upgraded the baseline, now I want to create an upgrade package to apply those differences to the other databases.

Thanks,
Christopher

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Christopher,

Thanks for asking. The basic difference is that with a new database, you register a database and compare it to a NULL object to get the ExecutionBlocks that contain the schema and data information. To create an 'upgrade' package, you would register two databases and compare the two to get the ExecutionBlock objects. I hope this points you in the right direction; if you need more specifics please let me know.
  • fordc03fordc03 Posts: 49 Bronze 2
    Hrmm...So then I flip the ISUPGRADE bit and follow the example as is almost?

I'll see what happens when I get back to the office Jan 2nd. :)

Thanks! You and Chris Auckland have been extremely helpful, hope the new year is good to you!
  • Hi,

Thanks! Specifying whether or not the package is to upgrade an existing database is also necessary to control the behaviour of the package so that it runs the parts that create a new database. Thanks for pointing this out.
    engine.AddProperty("PACKAGE_UPGRADE_DATABASE", "True");

Happy new year!