Original source code not found at <GUID>.vb

brfenskebrfenske Posts: 2 Bronze 2
I was running fine with my VB.NET 2005 Winform app, and then Profiler 2.6 Build 62 began to give me an Open dialog when I take a snapshot. The dialog caption says "Original source code not found at 17d14f5c-a337-4978-8281-53493378c1071.vb". I am compiling in DEBUG mode.

What might cause this? I have not moved any source code or pdb files, just recompiled and ran again. Yesterday it worked, now it complains every time.

Thanks,
Brian

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    edited June 19, 2007 12:04PM
    Hello Brian,

All I know for sure is that your source code has moved from the location where it had originally been compiled. ANTS Profiler found the PDB file and knows where the source code ought to be, but when it tries to open the code file, it finds that it's not available.
  • Hi,

I am sorry to jump in on an old message but I was wondering if you ever resolved this.

I am trialling Profiler and all other source code shows up as expected for my application apart from this one file with an indentical name to brfenske's.

17d14f5c-a337-4978-8281-53493378c1071.vb

Unfortunately, something in this code takes 5 seconds so I am keen to find out what it is.

Thanks in advance,

Jon
  • Hi Jon,

Those files are auto-generated by the VB compiler, and then deleted again after compilation, I believe. Apparently they contain the form initialisation code, so if you're running a Winforms application with a relatively complex UI, that could explain it.

Sorry not to help you out with that more - it's not something we can easily get at, but as you say, can take time to execute.

Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • Robert,

Thanks for the info.

That may explain it as one of my initial forms is graphically heavy which might cause the delay.

I'm still trying to understand how resources/forms are called in visual studio and trying to shorten the long startup time of my app (specifically cold start)!

Your software has helped me understand some of my code execution in a clearer way.

Jon.