Options

Option to "Omit Column"

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
I have a Product table that contains largely static but three volatile columns. To the purist reading this: I inherited the table and it's pervasive in SP's and .Net code... so "rearchitect" is a no-go...

Anyway, the Production and User Acceptance environments start with the UAT being restored from a full Prod DB. We update the schema (RG-SQL Compare + hand-crafted where the changes can't be handled); perform data conversion and let them at it.

In the final stages, the UAT is refreshed and the users prototype "the real thing". One of the tables frequently affected is my Product table - changes to descriptions, type classification, abstract, image, etc. However, Production has only changed because inventory has been continually depleted during the day and replenished once a day. I don't want to overwrite the Prod inventory values, but I do want to port all the modified data from UAT to Prod. I tried this with v4 and gave up after a few hours as the script was very long and the User may or may not have changed field values (because they didn't need to, not because they were wrong in missing them).

What I'd like is to have a check-box beside each column, other than the matching column(s), that says, "Ignore this column in comparisons and script generation". That way I can happily port the thousand Product record static-data changes using RG-SQL Data Compare... Brilliant!

Any chance you can add this to the "want it" list? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's faced with this kind of challenge... Thanks in advance :)
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...

Comments

• Options
    Hi there,

I have some good news for you - If I understand your request correctly I think that what you are asking for is already in the product.

To access this functionality what you need to do is to start a new project set up the servers and databases tab then click on the tables and views tab after the software has fetched the schema from the server you will be presented with a list of tables to compare against one another, the check box in the middle of this table allows you include/exclude the whole table from the comparison and syncrhonization process - however if you have a table included you can then click on the drop down in the right most column (Where it says "x columns") and select the individual columns to include in the comparison - thus excluding the columns you dont want to change.

Is this the functionality you were looking for? If not let me know and I will add a feature request for future versions of the product.

Hope this helps,

James
    --
    James Moore
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Not the most intuitively obvious - guess I should read the "What's New" :oops:
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...
This discussion has been closed.