Options

Database growth?

jwilleyjwilley Posts: 23
edited December 26, 2014 1:14AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Question: will SQL Monitor show me the size of my database over time so that I can estimate growth rate for capacity planning? If SQL Monitor won't give me this info out-of-the-box, can I (or you?) right a custom metric, possibly using backup information (I think (could be wrong) that backup sizes are stored for each full backup -- which we do weekly using SQL Backup).

If SQL Monitor is not the right tool for this, can you suggest something?

thx -- john

Comments

• Options
    If you monitor the data repository host sql server instance, then this information will be captured in exactly the same way as any other SQL Server database. You can use the analysis graphs to see this information over time too, so that you can estimate the growth. However SQL Monitor will not make this estimate for you, it will only show you the historical data.
  • Options
    thx for the reply. Yes, I know I can monitor manually every day or week. I have 75 large databases to keep track of and was hoping you guys had some better approach. It is surprisingly difficult to find out how fast a database is growing over time, let alone consolidating that across multiple databases and projecting so as to plan storage upgrades.

This would be a great opportunity for a new "Capacity Planning" product for RedGate. You could use the SQL Backup history to get the historical file growth but we also need to understand growth within the size allocated to the various filegroups. Idera is the only vendor I've found that advertises that feature (I have not tried it...yet).

As a long-time RedGate customer, I'll volunteer to share our workflows with the developers and be a beta if you decide to pursue this.
  • Options
    Hi John,

Assuming you're actively monitoring the server(s) with the databases of interest, then SQL Monitor captures this information automatically for you. We capture total size, as well as data and log size (as separate metrics).

These are accessible via the "Analysis" tab. You can also export the data to .csv files, to do further analysis (such as capacity planning).

Is this the information you're after?

Best regards,

Colin.
  • Options
    Hello,

Thanks for your post.

It looks like something in your installation of the web service got corrupted somehow. Are you not able to uninstall "SQL Monitor Web 3" in Programs and Features?

I've solved this issue in the past by reinstalling the current version (just re-run the installer you originally used), then running the version 4 installer again. (You may need to browse to the .msi files, but it should work.)
    KaZama