"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" Error

JackLockeJackLocke Posts: 25
edited January 20, 2014 8:45AM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
Hi All,
I just ran into some really strange error today while trying to prepare update with SQL Packager 6.4

I have two databases and I want to create database update based on difference between them. But, when I run SQL Packager via CLI, I get following error after a step where databases get compared.
Registering databases
Mapping
Comparing databases
Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

But if I use UI and do same thing, it finishes without any issue and it generates update exe.

Any suggestions ?

TIA,
Jack

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I'd say based on this and your later email, the most likely issue is a lack of permissions to all of the object in the database schema.
  • I'd say based on this and your later email, the most likely issue is a lack of permissions to all of the object in the database schema.
    I am running this script as SA. So I am sure it has permissions for all objects.

Following is the command that I am using,
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Packager 6\SQLPackager.exe" /db1:"NEW_DB" /u1:"sa" /p1:"password" /s1:"(local)\SQLEXPRESS" /db2:"OLD_DB" /u2:"sa" /p2:"password" /s2:"(local)\SQLEXPRESS" /location:"C:\test" /name:testEXE /makeexe /includedata:table:\[Version\] /verbose

TIA