Options

SQL Backup failed with exit code: 669

matthewfmatthewf Posts: 5
edited November 28, 2013 5:14AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Anybody know what a 669 is?
the "Error code reference - SQL Backup" page here skips from 668 to 680.

Edited Link: http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... 500+-+5292

The version i'm running is 7.4.0.23
Thanks!

Date 11/11/2013 8:43:36 AM
Log Job History (SQL Backup differential backup: model and 6 others (created 10/24/2013 3:44:44 PM))

Step ID 1
Server BB1DB
Job Name SQL Backup differential backup: model and 6 others (created 10/24/2013 3:44:44 PM)
Step Name execute master..sqlbackup
Duration 00:00:00
Sql Severity 16
Sql Message ID 50000
Operator Emailed
Operator Net sent
Operator Paged
Retries Attempted 0

Executed as user: CWI\sql-sa-bb1db. SQL Backup failed with exit code: 669 SQL error code: 0 [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 50000). The step failed.

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup generates a log file for each process that it runs. The default folder where the logs are stored is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name> on Windows 2003 and older, and C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name> on Windows Vista and newer.

Could you please post the contents of the log file for the backup that failed?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    SQL Backup Exit Code 669 indicates that the start-up account for the SQL Backup Agent service does not have read / write permissions to the SQL Backup registry folders.

Please check the following registry folders and ensure that the account given to the SQL Backup Agent service has read/write permissions to the following registry folders:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettings\<InstanceName>
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<InstanceName>
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\InstalledInstances\<InstanceName>

Where <InstanceName> is the name of the SQL Instance for a named instance or (local) for the default instance?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    rayherringrayherring Posts: 30 Bronze 4
    There must be something else that causes this error because I have assigned the new Service Account Full Control of the entire key from ..\BackupSettings down and I still see the error.
    I am trying to change the SQL Backup Agent Service account. It is a member of SysAdmin fixed server role on the instance. SQL 2008R2 Standard on Windows 2008R2 Data Center.
    Ray Herring
  • Options
    rayherringrayherring Posts: 30 Bronze 4
    rayherring wrote: »
    There must be something else that causes this error because I have assigned the new Service Account Full Control of the entire key from ..\BackupSettings down and I still see the error.
    I am trying to change the SQL Backup Agent Service account. It is a member of SysAdmin fixed server role on the instance. SQL 2008R2 Standard on Windows 2008R2 Data Center.

It turns out account needs access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal as well.
    Ray Herring