Options

Machine Unreachable alert too noisy + Feature request

jeffgonneringjeffgonnering Posts: 27
edited October 28, 2013 12:15PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
for whatever reason, there is a server that is monitored by SQL Monitor that causes a Machine Unreachable alert quite frequently. For example:

Machine unreachable from: 25 Oct 2013 12:38:34 PM
Machine became reachable again at: 25 Oct 2013 12:38:36 PM

I would like to customize the alert, but the only options are to set as high, medium, or low which doesn't solve my too many false alarm emails issue. I don't want to disable the email because then I might miss an actual server down event or would have to actively monitor the alert. FEATURE REQUEST: It would be great if we could also add some sort of duration before sending an email. Like if the machine does not respond to a ping request for n consecutive seconds, then send an email.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Out of interest, is the problem server a Win 2008 R2 box? I'm currently investigating various Machine Unreachable/Monitoring errors, and have found a rough correlation with Out of Memory exceptions in the Base Monitor log. These exceptions may be thrown by a misbehaving WMI provider service on the monitored box, in which a memory leak causes the service to increase in memory usage until it reaches a 512MB cap. The service will eventually recycle, but will effectively disable remote monitoring until it does.

I'm not saying that this is definitely my problem, or yours, but it is a potential line to check, particularly if (as in my case) you have multiple monitoring systems which both use WMI.

For ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981314