Options

Task cannot be completed - Mapping

scotteb@mindspring.comscotteb@mindspring.com Posts: 16 Bronze 2
Using SQL Data Compare 10.2.3.5 on Win8, I opened an existing projected, that synchronized without error on 13 April 2013. A table change today was synchronized with SQL Compare. There are no differences in tables (but some in source db only).

When I attempt to compare, I am presented with a "Task cannot be completed" dialog with a X next to mapping. At the bottom of the dialog is the text "FieldMapping not valid for MatchingMapings.".

Of the twenty tables, all but one show a comparison key is set. The one table is "Not Set" (never has been as I do not wish to compare it). I have looked over the tables on the Mapping tab and all are mapped correctly.

I selected only one table, with one column, and receive same error. BTW, after error dialog closes, all tables are selected for compare - that is bad form; no need to do that if user has made selections. Additionally, any custom mappings I have made revert to use keys. But that is not my complaint.

I'd like to synch these databases, but not sure where to look (wish error message mentioned the able!). I created another project against two different databases on these servers and was able to compare.

Best,
Scott

Comments

• Options
    Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Many thanks for your post and apologies for inconvenience caused.

The 'field mapping not valid for matching mapping' error is normally a result of a corrupt project file workaround for that is to create a new project file which you already done.

Was this project file quite old or was it copied over the network or something?
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    The project was created and last used on 13 April 2013 on the local computer. I did create a new project and all is well.

In fact, it solved another issue which you should be aware of as I saw reports of it on the forum. When I would load the project, the 'retrieving schema' message would display 100s of times, for 4-5 minutes. The new project loads immediately.

Best,
    Scott
  • Options
    Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Glad its all working now!

Is there anything else you need my help with?
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com