Options

Persistent, Intermittent, WMI errors - SOLVED

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
edited March 18, 2013 12:43PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Monitor (3.2.0.219), Running as: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM (Service)
Also, using a sysadmin DB server role for the cluster name, and 2 nodes login, with SQL sa as the "local" credentials.

Usually at least 3 or 4 times a week, sometimes twice a day, at unpredictable times, SQL Monitor will send an Alert:
ID:	2490436
SQL Server:	(local)
Machine:	<<The Cluster>>
Alert type:	Monitoring error (SQL Server data collection)
Level:	None
Time raised:	1 Feb 2013 8:01 PM (UTC-05)
Time ended:	1 Feb 2013 8:04 PM (UTC-05)

I need to send you a file of the base monitor log as this has been going on for many months without resolution.

The hosting company's Windows experts have changed what I believe is the packet authentication to public as we had seen a number of security messages and rebooted each node.

I ran the WMI Test and have 160 Win32_Service objects.

As I said, the issue is INTERMITTENT. I caught the log file this time. I'd like to upload it so your experts can see what's up as I'd like to have a reliable monitor, please...
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...

Comments

• Options
    Please can you gather the SQL Monitor error logs (as per the link below and ensuring that they cover the period of the error) and confirm the following details:

- version of Windows and SQL Server for the machine you are trying to monitor (full version numbers please).
    - did you run the WMI test on the Base Monitor host machine and connect to the machine you are trying to monitor?

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/c ... M_LogFiles

Please send to support@red-gate.com and include the support ticket number F0069194 in the subject line.

We can then try to investigate.
  • Options
    Email sent, thanks, Chris.
    Decide wisely...
  • Options
    A Rackspace technician suggested the following, which has completely cleared the issue: "To rule DNS out as a cause of the problem, I would like to edit the host file on this server with the short and FQDN entries for the cluster nodes and devices to see if this either solves the problem or excludes DNS from our troubleshooting."

Case closed!
    Decide wisely...