Turn off the "Commit Dependencies" modal? Possible?

sgilboysgilboy Posts: 41
Is it possible to completely turn "off" this modal window, I don't ever want to commit the dependencies

03.png

Comments

• Most options available in SQL Compare are now also available to SQL Source Control.

Please visit http://www.red-gate.com/SupportCenter/G ... 1202000521 for more information.

Having said that, it appears that the line already implies that dependencies aren't included.
    <IncludeDependencies>False</IncludeDependencies>

I'll have to investigate.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks for the quick reply David..

so I *think* that the setting you point to is to just by default have that checkbox unchecked in the modal, I was looking for a way to not even have the modal pop up and require me to take action before Compare does it's thing

btw, I tried to get into the settings by right-clicking as that KB article shows, but all I get is "Copy" in the context menu... I am running an older version (3.0.13.4214) because of 3.1's "timeout" issues

Screen%20Shot%202013-01-30%20at%209.47.08%20AM.png
  • Have you raised the timeout issues with the Red Gate Support team?

Regarding the behavior of that option, I've done some experimentation and it appears that SQL Source Control isn't honoring that option at all.

We'd obviously want to encourage users to included dependencies to reduce the risk of ending up with an inconsistent database. Is there any reason why you never want to commit the dependencies?

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Have you raised the timeout issues with the Red Gate Support team?

Yup, sure have

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... hp?t=16158

There is a new patch, but I don't want to be the first to try it :-)

We'd obviously want to encourage users to included dependencies to reduce the risk of ending up with an inconsistent database. Is there any reason why you never want to commit the dependencies

We've got a mish-mash of SQL Server versions across our 3 environments, I keep things simple by using SQL Source Control *just* for the PROCs I write... it's worked great for 3+ years now
  • I've raised this in our issue tracking system (issue SOC-4620).

In the time being I'm sorry to say that you'll have to uncheck that box each time!

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • OzzieOzzie Posts: 46 Bronze 5
    Has this ever been fixed to allow it to be turned off? We need that option too.

Thanks,
    Doug
  • Hi Doug,

Unfortunately this feature hasn't been implemented, but I've added a note on our system to say that you've expressed an interest in it.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • OzzieOzzie Posts: 46 Bronze 5
    Yeah - having that as the default deploys the dependencies if you are moving too fast, or if you have college interns who doesn't know to uncheck that box...;-)

Making that a user selectable default seems like a no harm/no foul option - especially if you DO NOT want it enabled as default.

Thanks for the consideration,
    Doug
  • How do I get to the "IncludeDependencies" XML flag in the SQL Source 3.8.11 ?
  • Is there any more news on this? I too would like the include dependencies default to be configurable.

Thanks.
  • Dan Guzman wrote:
    Is there any more news on this? I too would like the include dependencies default to be configurable.

Thanks.

Hi Dan,

Afraid not, although I've put a note on our system to say that you've expressed an interest.

Sorry.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks for the update, Robert. I just installed SQL Source Control 4.0 and didn't see such an option.

The reason I'd like the configurable default is that we have one database that has many partitioned views and member tables. For each view, the number of tables vary by installation target so we only keep a view containing a single table in source control along the member table. These are excluded from visibility using filters. However, developers sometimes forget to uncheck the dependency box when checking in objects that reference partitioned views, and that pulls in the multi-tabled partitioned view and member tables too. I have to routinely clean up the mess.
  • The latest frequent-update version of SQL Source Control (4.0.6.179) allows you to default the checkbox behaviour to off. To do this, you'll need to edit your UI Options file (RedGate_SQLSourceControl_CommonUI_UIOptions.xml) which you'll find in %localappdata%Red GateSQL Source Control 4 and add a tag called IncludeDependenciesCheckbox, like this:

<IncludeDependenciesCheckbox>False</IncludeDependenciesCheckbox>

If the value is false, then the checkbox will be un-set by default. Note that a restart of SSMS is required for this change to take effect.

You should still review the dependencies shown, to ensure that you don't commit changes that would break the database for other users who then "Get Latest".
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software