SQL Prompt working in SSMS "Denali"?

kondrichkondrich Posts: 79 Bronze 2
edited October 31, 2011 8:13AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi,

how do I get SQL Prompt (and SQL Search) get working in SSMS "Denali"?
I had already installed them for using them with SSMS 2008 R2. Now I additionally installed SSMS "Denali" and I am just wondering what to do to show SQL Prompt (and SQL Search) toolbars in SSMS "Denali"?

Does anybody know?

Thanks!
Regards, Klaus

Comments

• The SQL Prompt team is working on getting support for SSMS "Denali" at the moment. We hope to get a pre-release version for people to try out in the next few weeks.

If you're not on the list already, please sign up for early access notifications if you want to try out SQL Prompt in SSMS Denali before we release it.

Note that SQL Search will not work in Denali yet -- this is likely to happen at a later date.

Regards,
    Paul
    Paul Stephenson
    Project Manager, Red Gate
  • kondrichkondrich Posts: 79 Bronze 2
    Hi Paul,

thanks for the reply.
    I am definitely interested in getting EAP info. I am already receiving them for SQL Prompt (e.g. for Tab Magic).

Yesterday, I realized that VS2010 correctly recognized and registered SQL Prompt. SSMS "Denali" that relies on VS2010 did not.
    Regards, Klaus
  • Hi Klaus,

It's the same notification list, so you'll get the email when we send it out.

SQL Prompt has supported VS2010 (to some degree) since version 5.0. You're right that Denali is based on VS2010, but we have to write special code for each version of SSMS and each version of Visual Studio that we want to support. There are other differences too: for example, Visual Studio doesn't have an Object Explorer, which is used for quite a few Prompt features. Unfortunately it's not trivial to support new environments!

Regards,
    Paul
    Paul Stephenson
    Project Manager, Red Gate
  • I thought I had installed it before. The install this time seemed to work, but it isn't showing up, so I guess I imagined it, and it is still future?

What about Sql Search? Will that be supported?

Great products!
  • Hi Bill,

The latest release candidate of SQL Prompt (5.2.0.5) supports SQL Server Denali CTP3. The release candidate is not available for download from the Red Gate website (that's version 5.1.8.2), but once you have installed the downloaded version, you can use the Check For Updates feature (SQL Prompt 5 -> Help -> Check for Updates...) to get the release candidate.

If you still have problems getting 5.2.0.5 to work in SQL Server Denali, please let me know.

Regards,
    Mike Upton
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • However, it won't even install, so I can't get the upgrade. It runs like it installs, but then it doesn't show up in the tools.

Can you email it to me?

Thanks,

Bill Ross
  • You can download the update directly from http://downloads.red-gate.com/EAP/SQLPromptEAP/SQLPrompt_5.2.0.5.exe

Hope Prompt serves you well in Denali, and please let us know if you encounter any Denali-specific problems!
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software