Backup Over due alert

hbucknerhbuckner Posts: 67 Bronze 3
edited February 18, 2011 10:33AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I was reading the description of the alert and it reads that

This alert will be raised when no entry exists in the [msdb].[dbo].[backupset] system table for a full database backup, or the most recent full backup is older than a time you specify. Partial and differential backups are not checked for by SQL Monitor.

When I create a new database, no alerts are raised that a backup has not been done but it does alert when its past the number of days you specify.

I have upgraded to 2.1 but it seems the same.

Comments

• I would say it's probably the wording that slightly out in this case.

I dont work for RedGate but I'm guessing until the check that fires the alert is run, it would not read the table, so if you created a database before the check runs it won't know that a backup doesn't exist, simple.

Anyway wouldn't you find it really annoying if it immediately warned you that there was no backup as soon as you created a database? I'd end up turning this alert off it it did this.

HTH
  • Apologies, if it is not very clear. We will review the description for next release. Backup overdue alert is raised if a backup doesn't exist in last x days (as per your configuration). So even though you created a new database, it will be not raise alert unless no backup is done for x days.

Regards,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Hi,

This issue has been fixed as part of 2.2 release.

Regards,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software