Options

log4net & SmartAssembly

jerrajerra Posts: 2
edited November 17, 2010 10:10AM in SmartAssembly 5
Hi,
we have just started using SmartAssembly (5). Many questions have arisen.

One problem we haven't been able to solve concerns log4net. I don't know if this is the right forum, if not please point me in the right direction.

We have a console application (server software) using log4net and we have tried to have the log4net.dll merged or embedded together with the main assembly but it doesn't work. Having the log4net.dll completely outside makes the setup quite vulnerable as there are open configurations such as SQL statements for logging etc.
Ideal would be to have the log4net.dll & configurations files embedded and configurations encrypted. Is this possible?

log4net.dll
log4net.config <- our configuration Logging level, logging type etc
log4net.xml <- log4net's own XML configurations

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I've just sent you an email, Please let me know if you get it. What kind of errors are you seeing when you're trying to embed or merge? does it build at all or does it fail during the build process?
  • Options
    Hi, I hope you don't mind but I'm posting the solution that you found (good job, by the way :)

move the whole configuration for log4net into the program code
  • Options
    On a side note, unrelated to the problem - while it is tempting to embedd or merge log4net into your assembly, by its license you are not allowed to do so. This is a general problem of using OSS assemblies in your protected products. We are required to deliver those assemblies, modified or original, as standalone assemblies by most of the licenses for OSS.