Options

Permission Denied

LALLAL Posts: 9
edited March 24, 2010 5:19AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have a SQL Backup 6 GUI installed on my laptop. When backing a database I get a permission denied error:

Error 880: BACKUP DATABASE permission denied in database: (xxxx)
SQL error 15404: Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'domain\user', error code 0x5.
SQL Backup exit code: 880
SQL error code: 15404

The domain\user in this case has sysadmin role and can perform any Admin tasks in SQL Studio on the laptop without any issues.

What other permissions are required for Redgate SQL Backup to work?

Comments

• Options
    Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Thanks for your enquiry.

The error "SQL error 15404: Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user" is generated by SQL Server, as SQL Server cannot connect to a Domain Controller in the domain to authenticate the account passed to it by SQL Backup.

When SQL Backup connects to SQL Server, it performs a security check to ensure that the user requesting the backup or restore task has permissions to perform the job. So for a scheduled backup job, this is the account given to the SQL Server Agent Service, for an ad-hoc backup using the SQL Backup GUI Backup Wizard, this is the logged in account using the GUI and for the backup attempt we made last night the logged account using SSMS. These security checks are known as the User Rights Check.

The above checks can be omitted or skipped by setting or adding a registry key called SkipChecks.

SQL Backup 5.3 and later will look for a registry key called SkipChecks, normally this registry does not exist. So SQL Backup will perform the User Rights Check as expected.

So to set the above Registry Key you will have to add it manually using the Registry Editor, regedit.

Using Regedit navigate to the following registry node:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\(local) or SQL Instance Name.

Create a new DWORD type key called SkipChecks and give the key a data value of 1.

SQL Backup will now see the SkipChecks Registry Key and omit the User Rights Check

I hope this helps.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com