Error "Source array was not long enough..."

nmphamnmpham Posts: 14
edited June 30, 2005 9:41AM in SQL Log Rescue
"Source array was not long enough. Check srcIndex and length, and the array's lower bound"

I use SqlLog Rescue to view the transaction log on a remote server.
I use an UNC path for backup device.
(very small base = 31 MB, Log size ~ 8 MB)

A msgbox pop up and show the above message.
Any idea?

Comments

• Hi,

Can you let me know at what point this occurs please. For example, does it happen while you're using the wizard, or when looking at the transactions? If you're looking at transactions, does it happen for all transactions?

If you look in the Windows event log, are there any errors or messages from SQL Log Rescue there?

- Neil
    - Neil Davidson
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • i'm using wizard
    1. Create new Recovery Project
    2. Choose SQLServer + Database
    3. Edit backup Path: using UNC path to a backup file (i verified, this path is working)
    4. Finish

--> Exception (from Event viewer)

System.ArgumentException
    Source array was not long enough. Check srcIndex and length, and the array's lower bounds.

Server stack trace:
    at System.Array.Copy(Array sourceArray, Int32 sourceIndex, Array destinationArray, Int32 destinationIndex, Int32 length)
    at ᑅ.ᐁ(Byte[] , Int16 , ᑆ )
    at ᐦ.ᐁ(Int32 )
    at ᐭ.ᐁ(Int32 , ᐧ[] , ᐦ )
    at RedGate.LogRescue.Engine.LogEngine.ᐂ(LogEntryExtract )
    at RedGate.LogRescue.Engine.LogEngine.ᐁ(Int32 )
    at RedGate.LogRescue.Engine.LogEngine.InitPostProcessLogEntryExtracts()
    at ᑍ.ᐊ()
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(MethodBase mb, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
    at RedGate.SQL.Controls.ProgressDialog.Run(ICancellable executor, ProgressDialogStart startMethod)
    at ᑍ.ᐁ(LogEngine , RecoveryProject )
    at ᑍ.ᐂ(LogEngine , RecoveryProject )
    at ᑖ.ᐁ(LogEngine , RecoveryProject , Boolean )
    at ᑖ.ᐁ(IWin32Window , RecoveryProject , Boolean )
    at ᑈ.ᐁ(Object , ItemClickEventArgs )
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarBaseButtonItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkClick()
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkAction(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarButtonItemLink.OnLinkAction(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkActionCore(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarSelectionInfo.ClickLink(BarItemLink link)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarSelectionInfo.UnPressLink(BarItemLink link)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.Controls.CustomLinksControl.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.Controls.DockedBarControl.WndProc(Message& msg)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
  • Do you have the same problem if you don't include the backup files, and only work from the live log?
    - Neil Davidson
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • It doesnt work with live log (no backup specified)
    Same msgbox, same exception
  • Is there any chance we can get hold of your .mdf and .ldf files? That will help us troubleshoot the issue. If that's OK then let me know and I'll set up an area on our ftp site for you to upload them.
    - Neil Davidson
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Sorry i cannot: we have some real customer data in this database.

I tried to attach Log Rescue process in VS.NET, and i catched another
    exception before the System.ArgumentException:

EngineException: Database backup information is needed to reconstruct this BLOB!

The blob cannot be reconstructed, so the byte array is empty ==> Array.Copy failed.

In which case this EngineException is thrown?
  • I'm going to ask the developer who wrote this bit of code to get in touch with you to troubleshoot this further. This will take a couple of days though - he's out of the office for the rest of the week.

We're happy to sign an NDA if that will allow us to access your data. If that's not possible then of course I understand.
    - Neil Davidson
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Sorry, it's not possible to give away our database. It contains sensitive
    customer data.

I will be in vacation from June 30 afternoon until July 7. I will be back at
    July 8 in the morning.
This discussion has been closed.