Options

multiple <commandline> tags in /argfile

dtucker_rwdtucker_rw Posts: 4
edited March 8, 2010 4:55PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Is it possible to specify multiple <commandline> tags within an argfile .xml file? I need to compare the same source database against approximately 1500 target databases - generating 1500 separate .xml files and executing them individually sounds painful!

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

Unfortunately (to my knowledge) there is no work around. SQL Compare can only compare two data sources at a time, thus you can only submit two data sources using the .xml argfile.

So you will need to submit an argfile .xml file for each comparison, so generating 1500 separate .xml files.

However you will be able to submit a single batch file that will before the 1500 comparisons in turn. Therefore perform the first comparison, when complete, move on to the second comparison and so on to the 1500th comparison.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Could we request this for a future version? I have the same type of need where the destination server has a couple of hundred DB's that need to be compared to a source DB. Sometimes I spend an entire day just selecting a db and clicking sync.
  • Options
    It's definitely something we can consider. How would you envisage this works in the tool? Would you want to automate the synching? Or do you still want to view the differences for each combination beforehand?

Or would you be happy with doing this using the command line? I'd imagine it would be currently possible with this using a cleverly written batch file. Alternatively you could use the SQL Comparison SDK.

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software