Options

COM Exception 0x800CCE05 & other issues during trial

Michael.KovalikMichael.Kovalik Posts: 3
edited March 5, 2010 4:17AM in Exchange Server Archiver
Red-Gate,

I am currently trialing ESA and all in all I am fairly happy with the product.

I am having two main errors appearing in the logs that I am not too thrilled about though.

Firstly, on a fairly regular basis I get an error in the ESA event log that says "Cannot retrieve the version of Exchange Server on '<exchangeserver>'."

Second, every now and then during an archiving run I get the following error:

Archive Service
Cannot save changes to attachment: Exception saving attachment to Exchange: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800CCE05): Error in IMAPIProp::SaveChanges: 0x800CCE05
at Redemption.IRDOAttachment.Save()
at t.m()
at C.a()

My setup is as follows;
* Exchange 2003 on SBS 2003
* ESA on a Windows XP machine (all three services)
* Disk space on a NAS which I have had to set to public mode (not happy about that but working on it - my problem, I think it has something to do with authentication)

Windows XP machine is SP3, domain bound.
It has Office 2003 SP3 including Outlook for MAPI, .NET 1.1, .NET 2 SP2, .NET 3 SP2 and .NET 3.5 SP1 installed on it (basically an SOE machine because I was in a hurry to get the store size down before exchange crashed).

Mapi32.dll version 1.0.2536.0
Emsmdb32.dll version 11.0.8200.0

The archiving PC also has a bunch of other software including antivirus but I have disabled most apps from running on boot.

I am a little concerned that the antivirus is scanning everything during an archiving run and maybe it found something causing the second error but Trend Micro reports 0 infected files. It could be causing a race condition I guess.

Any ideas? Need more info?

Thanks in advance,
Michael Kovalik
Sydney, AU (GMT+10)

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Michael,

0x800CCE05 is a CDO_NOT_FOUND error, so I think you were right to check the AV quarantine first of all. The problem could potentially be caused by corruption in the particular message being archived, so it may be worth trying to delete the message (if you do not need it) or running an isinteg on the mail store.

Not being able to find the Exchange Server version is not a critical bug at the moment because it has no operational impact, but the next version of ESA will cache the version information once it is successfully retrieved, so you aren't periodically annoyed by these errors.
  • Options
    Brian,

Thanks for that. It basically confirmed the next steps that I am taking, which is to schedule an outage for isinteg and offline defrag of the database and uninstall antivirus (there is AV on the server and an outsourced AV provider on the net so there really is no need for it on a single-task archiving machine).

I'll let you know if I have any further issues after that.

One more thing though, and I am not sure if this should be a seperate topic, but one of my Mac users (the boss.. of course) had an issue on Monday after a large archiving run on Sunday. Could be a coinsidence all things considered but I thought I should mention it.

His Entourage database became corrupt and needed to be rebuilt. Now I know they do this from time to time and his was quite large indeed but I was wondering if this may have been provoked by the fact that half his mailbox suddenly changed content (from message to stub) and needed to be updated all at once in the offline database.

Have you seen any teething issues like this?

Thanks,
    Michael Kovalik
    Sydney, AU (GMT+10)
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Sorry, I haven't seen any support come in about Entourage and I don't know about it. ESA isn't going to reach into the database and corrupt it, though. It will change existing messages, but the changes it makes are Exchange-specific properties, aside from the actual message content.