Options

Source Control missing from SSMS following update to Source Control 6

For 3-4 years, I had been using SQL Source Control and some other redgate tools in SSMS (SQL Server 2012).

Yesterday I downloaded SQL Toolbelt in order to get SQL Compare. As part of the download, it also updated all existing redgate items, including Source Control (from version ?) to SQL Source Control 6.

Following that, Management Studio still lists SQL Prompt, but apparently all other redgate products are gone. .no SQL Search menu item, and now when I select a database I'd like to re-link to Source Control, I can't because there is no Setup tab, because there is no SQL Source Control tab.

On another post I saw a suggestion to Uninstall/Reinstall, so I tried that for both Source Control and SQL Search, but that did not help. I also tried the Repair option for SSMS Integration Pack 1 and SSMS Integration Pack Framework 1, with no luck.. I'm still looking for other posts which may solve my problem, but am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,
John

Answers

• Options
    Hi @OhNoooo,
    after the uninstall processes ends (please try to remove everything), try to delete the Program Files (or x86) and AppData/Local/RedGate folder too. It's not straightforward, but without all the information in those folder, you have more chance to get it.
    If this does not work, try to reinstall SSMS also.
    Let us know

cheers
    Alessandro Alpi
    CTO @ Engage IT Services s.r.l.
    Database Administrator and Team Leader
    Microsoft MVP - Data Platform
    Staff member of getlatestversion.it community
    personal website | blog
  • Options
    OhNooooOhNoooo Posts: 3 New member
    Thank you Alessandro,

I've gone back and uninstalled every redgate product, deleted the redgate folders and reinstalled SQLToolbelt.

Then when I loaded SSMS, a popup appeared and said:
    The Add-in 'SSMS Integration Pack Framework' failed to load or caused an exception.
    Would you like to remove this Add-in?
    If you choose yes, the file it was loaded from, 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SQL Server Management Studio\11.0\\Addins\RedGate.SIPFramework.AddIn', will be renamed.

Error Message: The parameter is incorrect.

Error Number: 80070057

I went back and removed that .AddIn file and repeated the uninstalls, deletes, re-installs again, but I still get the same message..

Thanks again for your help.
  • Options
    Did you try to remove also the folders in the AppData folder as I said in the first reply?
    Alessandro Alpi
    personal website | blog
  • Options
    OhNooooOhNoooo Posts: 3 New member
    There were not (and are not, following the latest install attempt) any folders or files listed under C:\AppData. Nor a RedGate folder under Program Files.

Between the uninstall and reinstall, I found and deleted the \Programs Files (x86)\Red Gate\ folder.

Thanks again,
    John
  • Options
    AppData is the %LOCALAPPDATA% path of Windows. The complete path is which is `C:\Users\<your_user>\AppData\Local\Red Gate`
    Alessandro Alpi
    personal website | blog
  • Options
    @OhNoooo - this shouldn't be happening, and we've had a few reports, but we've been unable to reproduce the problem so far. Can you remember what version of our tools you were upgrading from?
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    EddyKEddyK Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    edited November 25, 2017 10:49AM
    Just to let you know that I'm having the same problem. Removed all RedGate software and folders from the machines; rebooted the machine; installed the toolbelt essentials. Got the same error as described in the message before when starting SSMS: "The Add-in 'SSMS Integration Pack Framework' failed to load or caused an exception. Would you like to remove this Add-in. etc...".
    The SQL Prompt seems to install ok with SSMS, but not Source Control; it's not there not matter what I tried.
    To add: I'm using SSMS 2014.
    Edit: This machine does _not_ have internet access. Maybe this is important to know?
  • Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Sorry to hear that @EddyK!

So sorry as well to suggest another reinstall, but to make sure everything is cleared out (including the .addin file) before you reinstall, can you please try one more time:

1. Uninstall SQL Source Control, SQL Prompt, SQL Test (any that exist)
    2. Uninstall "SSMS Integration Pack Framework 1" and "SSMS Integration Pack 1" (if they still exist)
    3. Delete this folder if it still exists: c:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SIPFw
    4. Delete anything in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SQL Server Management Studio\12.0\Addins starting with 'RedGate'
    5. Reboot your machine
    6. Reinstall the tools needed from here: ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLToolbelt/09Nov2017/SQLToolbelt.exe
    7. Open SSMS to see if the add-ins load

If the error persists, however, can I just check what the error number is that you're getting?

(the lack of internet connection shouldn't have an effect but thank you for noting this!)

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    Hi all,

These issues with the SSMS Integration Pack Framework (SIPFw) files should be resolved in all of our installers as of today (November 29, 2017).

If you still experience issues after updating/installing with any installer after today, however, please let us know!

• Options
    Thanks Jessica; I will let you know the result as soon as I have access to the machine again and can test this. Because of other (non-related) technical issues I don't have access to the machine right now.
  • Options
    Hi Jessica,
    Sorry to say, but this didn't help. I've uninstalled all Redgate software, rebooted, downloaded the latest version of SQLToolbeltEssentials.exe (file version 2.0.1.2180) and ran the installed. Still the only Redgate button visible in SSMS 2104 is the 'Tab History' button. SQL Prompt seems to install ok, but not SQL Source Control.
  • Options
    Got it running! Tried installing SSMS 2017.3 didn't work but once I removed Redgatettools completely _with_ removing .NET 4.6.1 and re-installing .NET 4.6.1 with Redgate finally made things work. I guess the key here was removing and re-installing .NET 4.6.1.
  • Options
    Ooh how odd, but I'm so glad you've got it working! It sounds like a corrupted .NET 4.6.1 install may have been the issue here, and it's good to know this is a potential cause--thank you @EddyK !

• Options
    AlexYatesAlexYates Posts: 264 Rose Gold 2
    I'm having the same issue. I have reproduced it on a VM on my laptop and I have a snapshot you can play with when I'm next in Cambridge. Works in SSMS 2014 but not 2017.

Guess I'll have to use old SSMS for my demo today. as don't have time to follow all steps above. :-(

Alex Yates
    DevOps Mentor and Coach

Director of DLM Consultants
    Creator of Speaking Mentors
    Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Friend of Redgate
    Twitter / LinkedIn
  • Options
    FrostbiteF32FrostbiteF32 Posts: 1 New member
    We also had the same problem, here is how we fixed it.  Open add/remove programs in windows.  Right click "SQL Source Control 6" and select "Repair".  Close and re-open SSMS.
  • Options
    bdc101bdc101 Posts: 2 New member
    edited March 29, 2024 2:28PM
    Seems like this problem has come up again.  I upgraded to source control 7.7, and it was not visible in ssms 20.  I followed all the steps on this post to try to get it to appear in ssms 20 with no luck.  Any suggestions?  Note that even after uninstalling /resinstalling  source control does appear in ssms 18 and 19 on my station.  Only version 20 is not showing it.
  • Options
    Same problem for me as well.  Just upgraded ssms to 20, installed 7.7 and it's gone but I also get an error related to SQLPrompt.  I'm currently uninstalling Redgate as I type this.
  • Options
    Worth trying the dedicated SQL Source Control installer, in case this works.
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    bdc101bdc101 Posts: 2 New member
    The dedicated installer fixed the problem.  Thanks for the help.